free website stats program Price opinions | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Price opinions

Hate to say it but don't do it, most bikers know when they do the add ons they won't get their money back at time of re sale and we get our personal enjoyment out of it, we all advertise our extra's when were selling them, but will only add a small percentage back on to the bike value, when you go to the dealer like i did with my 2002 dyna years back found out how little the extras were worth, I ended up selling privately for a little more than the dealer offered my opinion like others here have said this could only lead to bad feelings among friends, I personally enjoy picking out and installing the add ons myself.

wat to much i looked at a beutiful road king before i found mine 9000 miles everything cromed out he was asking 4000 extra for his crome he added , he said i could resell the crome to bring the price down , my response was 10000 cash u take the crome off and sell it didnt buy that bike jmo he is way over price xtras dont count at fll $$$$ 6500 to 6900 tops

Never sell or buy cars or motorcycles from friends or family. It will always strain the relationship. Good advice I heard a long time ago.

Randall

I had a 97 EVO...... The Super glide IS NOT the top of the line.... The FXDS was the top $$ bike...

I had that bike.97 FXDS. Sold to a friend years back.

YES, His FXD has a lot of Extras BUT as others have said YOU DON"T RE-COUPE EXTRAS....

I know HE IS A Friend,,,,, There the problem lays...

I would ask him or tell him that the information you got from Knowledgeable folks,put the value at tops, 6000$ area MOSTLY because of the EXTRAS and a FRIEND. IF he can find a buyer for more , he should go for it.. Friends don't stay friends Long when buying and selling to each other, especially High $$ deals like these...

Because He is a friend, and You have your HEART set on buying it, I would Offer him 6900$ and not a penny more.. That is a good price for that bike Even with all the extras...

I sold mine to a Friend,, I got what I was asking and felt bad later when the HOT Motor (like this one) blew within a year of purchase from me.

I held our friendship separate and no problems resulted Because business IS Business and a deal is a deal and WE BOTH agreed to that BEFORE we entered into the sale/purchase..

Good luck. Yes you can pay what you want BUT if you turned Right around and HAD to sell it,,,,,, WHAT would it be worth to Joe Blow????? NOT even THAT much....

signed....BUBBIE
You did an excellent job of saying how it is BUBBIE kudos to you sir

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of the bikes i have had have been used most i have got at a good price but once or twice i may have paid too much
However i treat every bike as a challenge to get to know and understand it both of the sportster i have had were done correctly both good bikes with all modifications done well
However both the big twins had been modified by a person that did not fully understand what they were doing the softail wasn't too bad but it took about 2 years to fully understand what was wrong on the Dyna not that it was unusable but just some things that were not as good as they could have been
And all the Dyna difficulties brought me to this site so it did me a good turn
so if you are a hands on sort of person that enjoys a challenge then a used bike may be right for you

Brian

I agree with most on this thread regarding buying/selling vehicles to family or friends...don't do it! If they have a problem...they immediately blame the person who last had it...forget about the fact they NEVER put oil in the thing, or parked it outside for days or months without driving it...then the drama starts!

Hey Pa..."--we are amazed how well that ol' truck starts...even when it is 20* outside! (after a year of neglect...turns into 2) "--where DO you put oil in that thing...") to year 3...Dad, why did you sell that truck to me with a bad water pump, I had to replace it the other day...there was no water in the radiator...!:small3d007: Sheesh...and they got the truck for FREE!

I agree with most on this thread regarding buying/selling vehicles to family or friends...don't do it! If they have a problem...they immediately blame the person who last had it...forget about the fact they NEVER put oil in the thing, or parked it outside for days or months without driving it...then the drama starts!

Hey Pa..."--we are amazed how well that ol' truck starts...even when it is 20* outside! (after a year of neglect...turns into 2) "--where DO you put oil in that thing...") to year 3...Dad, why did you sell that truck to me with a bad water pump, I had to replace it the other day...there was no water in the radiator...!:small3d007: Sheesh...and they got the truck for FREE!

I would add not to work on relatives vehicles it almost always goes sideways, seems friends do too jMO

Thanks again for all the opinions.

I will say that the one issue I'm not worried about is our friendship. I have purchased used toys from friends before. There is no guarantee the bike won't implode on its beautiful chromed self before I get to the end of his driveway. It is a machine and one that is not stock.

My biggest concern was that I was getting too good of a deal. It is apparent that is not the case.

But if it's the bike you got your heart set on I say go for it. If that's THE ride and you let it go you might be kicking yourself for a long time. I bought my last pick-up from a friend that I paid too much for but I knew the truck and how well he took care of it so I just went for it.

Thanks again for all the opinions.

I will say that the one issue I'm not worried about is our friendship. I have purchased used toys from friends before. There is no guarantee the bike won't implode on its beautiful chromed self before I get to the end of his driveway. It is a machine and one that is not stock.

My biggest concern was that I was getting too good of a deal. It is apparent that is not the case.

While the price (IMO) is WAY high.... I bet it's less than the seller thinks it is worth....
The final say in the value of the bike.. is yours.....if you buy a bike for one dollar, there will be some one online, who bought the same bike, for 75 cents... then another who paid 50 cents, and on, and on.

You can certanly buy a newer, bike, with comparable add ons for the same, and perhaps less.... but if THAT is "the bike"... it's "the bike"... and what is most important, is that YOU are happy

Last edited:
Back