free website stats program price of mech work | Harley Davidson Forums

price of mech work

dynaboy

I have a 2001 dyna 88inch stage 1 with 24000 miles. I am going to have the cam chain tensioners up graded to the new hyd and a 211 cam installed. the mech wants to charge me 1400 plus tax. Does anybody know if this is a good price.

I have a 2001 dyna 88inch stage 1 with 24000 miles. I am going to have the cam chain tensioners up graded to the new hyd and a 211 cam installed. the mech wants to charge me 1400 plus tax. Does anybody know if this is a good price.

Parts and labor? What is his labor rate per hour how much are the parts and what is the warranty?

I just did mine a few weeks ago. I did the work myself but the parts ran me right around $500ish. However, I did it as inexpensively as possible and took the pushrods out the top as oppossed to buying adjustables and I kept the stock cams.

If you are buying cams that can add another $300 bucks right there. You are probably looking at around 800-900 for the parts and the rest is labor. At the typical rate of 70-90 bucks an hour for labor that can easily add up to several hundred dollars.

All in all I think the price sounds a little on the steep side but not outrageous. If you really want to save some money I would recommend doing the work yourself. It's not nearly as difficult as you think and it's actually alot of fun. I had never done a project like that but I did it without any problems whatsoever. Good luck

I thought about doing it myself but I dont have the tools. They are using the the orginal push rods and new inner and outer cam bearings.

If they are replacing your inner cam bearings make sure they are using the torrington bearings NOT the Harley OEM bearings. The torrington are inexpensive and are far superior. If you compare the two side by side you will see what I mean. I cant believe Harley is using such a cheap bearing.

As far as tools go Bodeen gave you a great link. Some of those tools are exactly what I purchased for my project. My plan was to purchase the tools and then sell them on ebay to help recover part of my cost. I figured if I purchased a $100 tool and sold it for $80 then the loss would be nothing more than a renters fee. I haven't gotten around to listing them on ebay yet. If you are interested in the tools then send me a PM and we might be able to work something out.

The members on this site will also be a wealth of knowledge for this project. If you decide to do it yourself just let us know how we can help.

My question is, is the 211 cam going to be compatible with what you have in the engine or is this cam going to complicate things with a stock engine???
And how much more $$$ will it then take to make cam compatible...

dbmg makes a good point. Is your stage one all HD, air cleaner and pipes? With the cam change you will need some type of feuler. If you go HD it will require dyno time unless there is an off the shelf MAP. You could use the Dobeck but this to is an added cost. Has your dealer talked to you about the SERT? Another added cost.

Unless you are doing a high compression big bore upgrade stay away from the SE 211. It has an intake valve close of 45* which is waaaaaaaayyyyy to late for a stock 88. You will have no bottom end power at all and when it finally makes it to about 4000 rpm it will seem to take off like a rocket. If you must stay with a H-D product the SE 204 will be a much better choice.

Back