free website stats program Priamry Oil usage | Harley Davidson Forums

Priamry Oil usage

tlyoungb

Ok Here is my problem. I have looked at all the post about different types of Primary Oils, from Amsoil to Z if they make a Z label oil. I would not mind using the F+ HD, but they are closed on Sun and Mon. and just way to far to go and get the oil.

So with that said, what I have here close to me is Wal-mart, and Advance Auto Parts which are open all the time. So lets say you only have these two places that you can pick from. What would be the best Primary Oil to use when all other options are closed, or just way to far to travel. With the price of gas now, just driving 35 or 40 miles away is a great road trip, but gas prices they way they are I can't see paying almost 20 dollars for something that I can get local here that would be just as good as the F+. I also don't think using a synthetic oil is a good idea.

Any suggestion name brand wise? Thanks

I cant really help you on brand of oil to use
But i may be able to sugest a way round your problem
as i live in an isolated part of north scoland id have to travel many miles to pick up oil suitable for an hd motorcycle so i buy online from 1 supplier who does a simple shipping price of £10 so ill buy enough oil in one purchase to do all three bikes so that the price of shipping per quart is minimal
i also keep on the shelf redy to use sufficent spares to service 1 bike for thoes un forseen circumstance

Brian

There's lots of oils that will be just fine in the primary. Key here is not to use an "energy conserving" oil. It can be 10-30, 10-40. 20-50 etc and not a synthetic in there.

There's lots of oils that will be just fine in the primary. Key here is not to use an "energy conserving" oil. It can be 10-30, 10-40. 20-50 etc and not a synthetic in there.

That is what I am looking for Glider. No Syn, 10-30, 10-40, or 20-50. When you say "etc" are you meaning that even higher weight oils would be ok? I even see post of people use Dextron III and Tpye F ATF Fluids. I can find those type oils all over the place here, and how about the dino type oils. Are they ok for Primary?

NO ATF in the primary, that's for automatic transmissions. It's basically just a hydraulic fluid and not meant for lubrication in the primary of these bikes even thou you will hear some saying "it worked for me". There's no "proof" associated with any of those claims and Barnet clutches says to use it with THEIR clutches because as far as the clutch linings are concerned, it will be better for them but not for the rest of the parts which THEY are not guaranteeing.

The Formula+ I believe is a 50 wt oil but I would stay with a multi grade oil if you can't get the F+.

NO ATF in the primary, that's for automatic transmissions. It's basically just a hydraulic fluid and not meant for lubrication in the primary of these bikes even thou you will hear some saying "it worked for me". There's no "proof" associated with any of those claims and Barnet clutches says to use it with THEIR clutches because as far as the clutch linings are concerned, it will be better for them but not for the rest of the parts which THEY are not guaranteeing.

The Formula+ I believe is a 50 wt oil but I would stay with a multi grade oil if you can't get the F+.

Ok so no ATF. So pretty much any brand of oil as long as it is not Energy Conserving, and Syn. and a good dino oil muliti weight. Down here in Florida I would assume something on the weight of 20-50 or Higher?

Cool thanks Glider. I am off to Advance Auto which is just down the street. i think I will take a little walk. It is nice out side today.

Get some good exercise and save money on gas.

Hey Glider. How about Seals? Are any of this oils bad for the Seals?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back