1st cousins funeral last fall/winter, going to take last ride with him but bike would not start, I ran battery down trying to start, let trickle charge about 20 min. and ran battery down again, out of desperation and running out of time tried to jump using trickle charger connection on bike and trickle charger alligator clip to connect to lawn mower battery. As soon as connection was made the trickle charger wires melted. At this time I closed building and went to funeral in van. Next day I checked out bike and removed burnt trickle charger wires and found that the positive post was melted just a little, with new trickle wires tried to recharge battery but no good. NOW a coulpe weeks ago put on new battery tried to start bike but no start . All I get is a light thump from starter relay and from starter. checked relay with ohm tester and it is ok. tried to run jumper wire from positive battery post to starter and get it to turn over. No luck. Could this be anything other than the starter? If thought to be starter, can the starter be removed and leave drive in primary? Want to try to repair myself, can't afford $60 hr. in shop. Bike is a 1990 Fxstc softail custom Evo 80cui, unfortuanly 88cui stroker kit installed before I bought bike. Had to install compression release in plugs so starter would turn over. Last starter installed was rebuilt (only drive unit )due to drive being twisted into. HELP!!!!!!!!