free website stats program Premium Tour Pack Latches | Harley Davidson Forums

Premium Tour Pack Latches

lhgdale

Hello, I am about to order a set of the premium tour pack latches and hinges. I've read a few threads on the hinges but I didn't see much about the latches. Does anyone have these on their bike? Would like to hear your thoughts. Thanks

I installed the premium hinges ($50). A bit more beef in the hinges.
Funny, you'd think they would come standard with their CVO models but no, still the same stock hinges.

It takes a little installation time but not to bad.

I've had to replace a stock latch twice ('07 Ultra). Both times when I was on the road. Nice chrome but the screws go into pot metal. I now carry a spare because losing a latch could lead to Tour-Pak lid failure.

Not sure if I'll upgrade. The kit is $100. A stock spare is $13. If the new fancy latch doesn't last, then I'd have to spend another $100 to fix it.

I just did it this fall and wish I hadn't waited so long, they look wayyyy better. The only tough part is drilling the rivets out but that isn't too difficult at all. I did it alone but it would help to have someone hold the lid while you install it.
Harley.

Thanks for the info, after doing alot of reading most people say that using a dremel with to grind down the lips on the rivet is a little easier than drilling.

I think I have decided to put the black hinges on and just get the standard black latches. I don't know what it's called but it's the piece on the lid that the latch cathes and holds on to. I'm kinda nervous about removing this piece so I am going to just leave the stock one and put the black latches on. When locked down the latch covers this piece pretty well so the chrome will be only slightly visible.

Just curious, but what is wrong with the stock latches and hinges that you need to replace them???

Installed the Premium hinges. I think that it does add a little more stability. And really adds to the appearance. Havent done the latch. But probably next on the list.

Just curious, but what is wrong with the stock latches and hinges that you need to replace them???

As already posted, the stock hinges are rather crude looking. The newer latches are a different design. They are push to close, and button to open, rather than individual pivot latches. I like the idea, but am waiting for lots more feedback on reliability before buying them.

Back