free website stats program Prefilling Oil Filter | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Prefilling Oil Filter

I can relate, in my racing days built a 350 chev, on the first start I heard a loud pop and by the time I got it shut down (matter of a couple seconds) it pumped out most of the new oil on the garage floor.

Turned out to be a sticking pressure release valve and it built so much pressure it blow apart the oil filter.:eek:
Did you save the engine?

We saved that one, and his 440 Mopar that sucked a valve out of the head and spun the cam bearings, Jeff raced the next day
With a Ace mechanic like you Jack its no wonder!!!!!;) You guys dirt, asphalt or drag?

Back in the day when I was a car mechanic, we had a lady bring in her camaro for an engine. I pulled the drain plug to dump the oil and started the engine to see how long it would run without oil in it. The top end rattled, but it never knocked. I run the engine for over an hour and it actually run hot. You will be surprised how little oil an engine needs under no load. Harley engines uses roller bearings where car manufacturers use babbitt bearings. All that to say I do not prefill my oil filter on either of my Harleys. On the other hand I do on our car and truck.

Back in the day when I was a car mechanic, we had a lady bring in her camaro for an engine. I pulled the drain plug to dump the oil and started the engine to see how long it would run without oil in it. The top end rattled, but it never knocked. I run the engine for over an hour and it actually run hot. You will be surprised how little oil an engine needs under no load. Harley engines uses roller bearings where car manufacturers use babbitt bearings. All that to say I do not prefill my oil filter on either of my Harleys. On the other hand I do on our car and truck.

Good idea, will give that a go next oil change. Guess it might be time to throw away my saturated piece of cardboard I've been using for quite sometime. The creases are perfect but it is a tad bit flimsy at this point...it has served me well.

Yup, no harm no foul, I was behind the wheel when she popped
Far OUT! Glad you were able to keep her alive!
I was working on my truck back around 1993 or so. I did not notice the oil filter gasket that was still stuck to the engine block when I installed a new oil filter. When I cranked up the engine, a friend noticed the oil all over the garage floor. I turned off the engine, cleaned everything up, found and corrected the problem with the oil filter, added more oil and the truck was fine for the life of the truck. I ended up traded it in years later. Oil pumps are very efficient!

Far OUT! Glad you were able to keep her alive!
I was working on my truck back around 1993 or so. I did not notice the oil filter gasket that was still stuck to the engine block when I installed a new oil filter. When I cranked up the engine, a friend noticed the oil all over the garage floor. I turned off the engine, cleaned everything up, found and corrected the problem with the oil filter, added more oil and the truck was fine for the life of the truck. I ended up traded it in years later. Oil pumps are very efficient!

I had 1 stick as well on a car but found it while wiping off the housing prior to the new filter. Now that's the 1st thing I check when I drop the filter.

Speaking of dropping the oil filter.
One day while changing the oil for a customer, the kind of guy that likes to have his chin on your shoulder while you work,
I asked that he step back while I spin the filter off, well he didn't, my hand became wet and slippery with oil and lost hold of it.
The filter fell to the floor and splattered oil all over his new Tony Lama's, So I take my rag and try to wipe the oil off. Didn't work out very well being they were soft leather boots, he he he. The guy never came back

Back