free website stats program Prefilling Oil Filter | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Prefilling Oil Filter

I'm also a pre-filler.
It takes time to do an oil change. I make it a point to add oil to the filter. By the time I screw on the filter, the oil has filled the pleats and I don't think I lose any oil. Nothing to mention but it gives me peace of mind to start with a pre-filled filter.
Do what you want.

I put some oil in it but I'm not anal about it. I warm the engine up before I change the oil so everything is lubed for that few seconds it takes the system to fill the filter on start up.

I'm part of the pre-fill crowd. Takes a second or two less time for oil light to be on after start. Do it with all my vehicles.

Dang I hate to be thought of as OCD or anal, but I do preload the oil filter. Doesn't seem to take any extra time and I guess it's just one more thing I won't worry about.
Seems like you will have plenty of company in the OCD sector! Gosh never really thought of it that way...now everyone saying I need help has new meaning

There ya go. There is no reference in the Owner's manual or the Service manual to pre-filling an oil filter. Maybe a "feel good" thing but not necessary and a waste of time.:rolleyes:
Agreed. I know I'm not an expert mechanic but What I do know is this, there is approximately 1 quart of oil in the top end of the engine. I'd be more concerned with getting rid of the spent oil in the top end during an oil change than fretting over a pre loaded oil filter.

Mongo you know you are starting a slippery slope with that video. :confused:
Additional cost, time, additional oil needed.......................................:eek:

I prefill my oil filters on all my bikes. Typically, of course, the Harley is the one with the most difficult access AND the one with the propensity to make the most mess.

However, it doesn't. Not a drop if one screws it on without undue haste. Back in the day when one could still turn the engine over with the kill switch off, I would do that too. Until the oil pressure light would go out.These days, that avenue is pretty much limited to my '80 CBX.
As said by others: your ride, your choice. I don't think there's anything OCD or anal about it, it's just something I've done for the past 40 odd years.

Don't need a kill switch, just pull the plug wires if 1 is determined to fill the filter by cranking it over.

The oil filter on my '05 FXSTD is mounted back near the swing arm. I can guarantee that if I started the motor with the oil filter off, I would have a quart of oil on the floor before I could shut her off; that's how quick the system fills up.

I can relate, in my racing days built a 350 chev, on the first start I heard a loud pop and by the time I got it shut down (matter of a couple seconds) it pumped out most of the new oil on the garage floor.

Turned out to be a sticking pressure release valve and it built so much pressure it blow apart the oil filter.:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
I prefill my oil filters on all my bikes. Typically, of course, the Harley is the one with the most difficult access AND the one with the propensity to make the most mess.
Here is a cool trick. Take a soda bottle (2 liter) and cut the bottom off and then 1/2 of it off length wise with the spout still intact on one side. You'll have a nice funnel to use to catch the oil as it spills out when removing the oil filter.
Here is another trick. Take a punch and poke a hole in the oil filter to drain the oil out of the filter into that new funnel that you just made. You will literally have no mess. I've heard of others using tin foil but this way works pretty darn well.

Back