free website stats program Prefilling Oil Filter | Harley Davidson Forums

Prefilling Oil Filter

Hi,

I was reading another post and someone had mentioned to fill the oil filter with oil before installing. Given the location and position of the filter ... at least on my 2005 Ultra ... it doesn't seem possible. I could fill it then dump out all the excess oil. Does anyone do this.

Thanks;

Steve

I just changed the oil and filter on my 2008 FLH yesterday, I prefilled filter before install. You will find that it takes a bit of time to fill for fresh oil has to soak into filter. The moment it takes to install you may loose a drop or two but no big deal. You are filling oil filter to help a oil starved motor on start to have oil pressure sooner than if you did not fill filter. I do not believe that filling and dumping is not going to anything but coat inside filter with oil.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never pre fill the filter, JMHO the engine is already lubed from the oil that was already on the moving parts and what was left in the oil pump.

IMO the short time it takes for the light to go out (seconds) and the gauge needle to move no damage or wear on the engine will occur.

I never pre fill the filter, JMHO the engine is already lubed from the oil that was already on the moving parts and what was left in the oil pump.

IMO the short time it takes for the light to go out (seconds) and the gauge needle to move no damage or wear on the engine will occur.

There ya go. There is no reference in the Owner's manual or the Service manual to pre-filling an oil filter. Maybe a "feel good" thing but not necessary and a waste of time.:rolleyes:

Hi,

I was reading another post and someone had mentioned to fill the oil filter with oil before installing. Given the location and position of the filter ... at least on my 2005 Ultra ... it doesn't seem possible. I could fill it then dump out all the excess oil. Does anyone do this.

Steve,

I agree with the comments above that prelubing the oil filter is not really necessary, but for those of us that are OCD and gotta do it, then see here:

After you have drained the old oil from the tank (or even before you start that!), just pour in some oil into the new filter until you can see it up near the threads. Lube the seal lightly with some new oil. Then just let it sit while you do the rest of the stuff (drain oil, remove old filter, clean up mess). Add the rest of the oil from that quart bottle that you used to fill the filter and the rest of the quarts to the oil tank. By the time you are ready to install the new filter, the oil will have soaked into the pleated filter paper in the new filter. You will probably not have any excess oil in the filter, but even if you do, spinning on the new filter is so quick, you probably will not lose any out of the new filter. Snug the new filter up 1/2 - 3/4 turn by hand after contact with the sealing surface. Good to go!

Cheers,

TQ

And I thought I was anal!:oops: Guess I have been riding and wrenching Harley's too long.......;)

Too messy, however if you do let it sit for about 1/2 hour to soak into the pleats

Back