free website stats program Precious metal in cats. | Harley Davidson Forums

Precious metal in cats.

I was thinking about sending my cats to American custom for one of there new headers but now i won't be. I think i know the reason they are willing to give you a $130.00 back for your converter because they can gut it and sell the metal inside for much more than that.. The metal inside the cats is what makes it so exspensive to replace. I'm not sure what metal harley uses in there but from what i've been reading there are only 3 choices...one being Palladium and that starts at $750.00 an ounce, Platinum at $1700.00 an ouce and rhodium starting at $2000.00 an ounce. I'll just spend the money to get new headers w/out cats and keep the the ones i have just in case.:newsmile093:

I'll just spend the money to get new headers w/out cats and keep the the ones i have just in case.:newsmile093:

Smart move! When the time comes for the EPA to get more serious about the cats being removed, the price to replace a cat will no doubt increase then too.

You are correct, there is precious metal in them cats. My buddy went out and started his motorhome, the exhaust was noisy, he was thinking that he had a cracked exhaust manifold so he crawled underneath. Some one had gone under with a battery sawzall and cut the cat out.
Ken

Cat Converters have been big business since their inception, Scrap yards want them Big Time:s

Yes, "recycling" is good, Right?
Here, in the Memphis area, "Environmentally Concerned Citizens", help out by taking cat converters off of entire fleets of vehicles, removing people's air conditioning units, Guess storm grates are "bad, as they take those, too. (Checks out those "lightening fast" biker reflexes!); Aluminum guard rails are popular, as the copper wiring in empty houses & businesses!
My only question is: Do the Recycling Centers know (or even ask) where the "good citizen" get these items? :s

The rare metals are expensive, but there is not all that much in a converter. Meaning, it is more about surface area. The metals are coated/deposited on a porous support structured. Bulk recycling definitely has a good profit margin on these items, but turning in one won't get you as much as you think. But it is very smart to hang onto the originals in case the big brother EPA tightens the screws.

Back