free website stats program Pre-Trip Inspections arent just for Trucks | Harley Davidson Forums

Pre-Trip Inspections arent just for Trucks

zoood

Product Contributor
Just as a safety precaution. Whether I'm on 2 wheels or even 3 in this case. Even though a certified technician may have worked on my ride. I still take the extra step to look over my ride. Whether there was work performed or not. It's always better to be safe than sorry. I bring this out to our attention because of the following mishap.

Accident

RJ

How true...I always do a "walk-around" while the bike's warming up to ops. check & ensure everything's good for take-off. Guess it's the 20+ yrs. of USAF service in me, but a few minutes of observation can prevent years of rehab. Thanks for sharing.

I always do the walk around on the scoot while it's warming up. Check all of the lights, horn, etc. . 99% of the time everything checks out, but I can recall a time when the brake light wasn't working. Better safe than sorry....

Good reminder to make it part of the daily regimen...ESPECIALLY if your HD is your daily driver. Things loosen up, but in the case of a 2009 HD Tri-Glide, one can only wonder for the failure of such a young ride...losing a wheel is certainly a forensics issue and more to the story is probably going to be kept "mum".

As my bikes are for pleasure and perhaps not ridden more than a couple of time a week then i do take the time to walk round and look over them prior to setting off
when stopped for a fag (smoke) break also check round the bike my 75 bonnie would need stuff tightened after 50 miles of motorway constant speed/vibration so got used to a fairly strict check over on every break

I have on 2 occasions stooped to help a car driver retrieve a wheel and re fit it cos i saw where the wheel went when it came off
Military doctrine was to check the torque of wheel nuts for the next 3 working days of the vehicle after a wheel has been fitted/refitted

Brian

For me... every ride get's a pre-inspection (I do this for the wife before she heads out to work on too) and at each fill-up I do a walk-around. Some people might think I am being anal about it but it's my butt sitting on it, not theirs. (oh, and my wifes :newsmile092:)

Back