free website stats program Power Outlet (Cigerette Lighter) Question - 09 Ultra | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Power Outlet (Cigerette Lighter) Question - 09 Ultra

Inside your fairing shell connected to the headlight connection are 2 connectors that are used for the HD Fairing mount GPS set up. This is where I hooked up my connection. No problems as to date.

Come to think of it I plug my phone into my cig lighter when needed and no problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know hd says don't do it, but I have been running my garmin, droid, and xm all at different times off the cigarette lighter, now for the xm I have it tapped into the power coming into the lighter (hardwire adapter kit), I have been using my droid incredible as a music and gps source for about 4 months with it plugged into the lighter....

I know that doesn't solve your problem, but I wonder if even using the "power point" would? it seems to be basically a cigarette lighter in a fancier support housing.

There are 2 power out let's under the seat one is switched by the dash switch and one is battery power straight to the battery.If you look in the P/A book under the touring electrical section they offer 2 different adapters . the connectors are hidden in front of the battery and are difficult to find but they are there.If is a great way to add electrical equipment with out making a hashed up mess .

olbill

Thanx for the note....I simply pluged in the GPS power cord to the cigerette lighter and...no power, tried the plug in the car to check and again could not get power nor did the green indicator light come on. So I grabbed my sons cord from his GPS that I knew worked, repeated the process and again, ruined the plug. That one is now dead too. No, no fires or smoke, the plug(s) simply do not work any more after trying to plug them into the bike.

I am with NewHD on this one. Sounds like a Polarity problem of some sort. Bet you blew the internal fuses in each adapter. Take a meter and check the polarity of that socket.

Yep, just took both plugs apart and the fuses are blown. So is the socket bad (the lighter still works) or is that the way its setup?

Yep, just took both plugs apart and the fuses are blown. So is the socket bad (the lighter still works) or is that the way its setup?

Check the POLARITY of the accessory socket using a meter. If it is reversed, it is incorrect and someone mis-wired something. I have never seen an accessory shell be Battery positive as its normal polarity.

I actually hardwired my GPS to the cigarette lighter behind the fairing and have had no problems at all over a couple of years.

I'm thinkin' Hoop is onto something.

Last edited:
This is what happens when a accessory plug is install in a cigarette lighter.
The lighter socket is to small and shorts out plug. Replace fuse and try in a accessory socket in car or truck. Should be ok.

One final precautionary note...besides checking polarity, inspect that accessory receptacle carefully and determine if the insulator around the nipple contact is white porcelain or ceramic. If so, it is a receptacle for a cigarette lighter and will be fused with a huge 25-30A fuse (those pop-up lighter heating elements draw a lot of power to glow red hot).

Most motorcycles have a receptacle with insulator that looks brown (Bakelite) or green tinted (fiberglass) it is an accessory receptacle, likely fused 15A or smaller. DO NOT PLUG IN a pop-up cigarette lighter or increase the size of the fuse feeding it to hold it...a FIRE or burnt wiring harness will result.

Last edited:
For those that do/will use the existing cigarette lighter for charging GPS/Phones/Ipods/Etc., suggest you check the length of the housing on the end of the charging cord (portion that plugs in to the outlet) to ensure it doesn't hit your gas tank when you turn your front wheel/handle-bars left (especially when parking). Or, at least know the tolerance before you damage your tank.

Back