free website stats program Power Outlet (Cigerette Lighter) Question - 09 Ultra | Harley Davidson Forums

Power Outlet (Cigerette Lighter) Question - 09 Ultra

aspybay

Just pluged in my new GPS to the fairing power outlet of my '09 Ultra only to discover it blew the adapter!! The HD owners manual (should have checked that first so the wife tells me) says the outlet is not for accessories.....can I make some changes our use some form of stepdown adaptor to allow me to use the outlet for something other than lighting my cigars???? Anything out there??

Just pluged in my new GPS to the fairing power outlet of my '09 Ultra only to discover it blew the adapter!! The HD owners manual (should have checked that first so the wife tells me) says the outlet is not for accessories.....can I make some changes our use some form of stepdown adaptor to allow me to use the outlet for something other than lighting my cigars???? Anything out there??

Seems to me my 97 FLHT had a plug under the seat and a rocker switch on the fairing

I'm surprised, but not sure if I'm surprised that your GPS blew your adapter on your 09 Ultra Classic, or surprised that I haven't blown mine, as I use mine to power up my GPS and my Ipod (not at the same time). I wasn't aware that the manual stated it wasn't for accessories.

The HD owners manual (should have checked that first so the wife tells me) says the outlet is not for accessories

Sounds like I need to read the manual. I've used the cig lighter for my 12v mini air compressor on several occasions and always thought I'd be able to use that to charge my cell phone and whatever 12v accessory needs that may come up.

This is a no no?

And there is a rocker switch on the right side of the instrument panel with a power feed from that switch going somewhere. I was told that the connector tied into that power source is immediately beneath the rocker switch, underneath that panel cover. Not certain if that's the case.

And as was told to me by another forum member, there is a 12v accessory plug already hot, underneath the seat. You'll need an adapter cable to tie into this pre-wired adapter, and that cable will let you connect up 12v accessories.

That is why most of the new vehicles have a power point socket. The cigarette lighters are a bit smaller and will not accommodate the accessory jack properly. as stated by trvlr you might want to find a accessory plug under seat to have a secure power point for proper componet operation.

there is a rocker switch on the right side of the instrument panel with a power feed from that switch going somewhere.

Owner's manual states that there is a a accessory connector located in front of the battery that can be activated with the ACC switch. I'll have to check out that connector.

The HD owners manual (should have checked that first so the wife tells me) says the outlet is not for accessories.....

Not that I didn't trust what you said, just wanted to read it for myself and there it was on page 75 of the owner's manual.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just so you know you may have to do some digging to find it but it is in there. it has all the power you need to run that stuff I run a Lenale fan off it and that thing pulls some power.
Thanks Top! I should have known it wouldn't be easy to find, as the owner's manual shows it sticking out like a sore thumb adjacent to the battery and nearly dead center between both battery posts. If it wasn't dark I'd go look for it now.

Thanx for all the replies. I have heard of some models allowing use of the outlet for accessories, others not so, Not sure if this is year dependent or not.
So from all the info you folks have given me, it looks like I will have to wire the GPS into the Acc under the seat and go from there, seems like a bit of a pain when the lighter outlet is right there, progress I guess. Anyway, as I said at least the cigars get lit easily.

Thanx again.

Aspybay, you stated that the round accessory 12V plug in your fairing BLEW your GPS adapter? I think a clarification is needed, did this blow a fuse in your adapter or fuse block or did it ACTUALLY blow "damage" the GPS adapter. It should have been fine, as the 12V positive, is the nipple, the shell is 12V minus...and current draw should have been at MOST 1-2 Amps. Now if you had it WIRED improperly or such THAT would be the problem.

Thanx for the note....I simply pluged in the GPS power cord to the cigerette lighter and...no power, tried the plug in the car to check and again could not get power nor did the green indicator light come on. So I grabbed my sons cord from his GPS that I knew worked, repeated the process and again, ruined the plug. That one is now dead too. No, no fires or smoke, the plug(s) simply do not work any more after trying to plug them into the bike.

Back