free website stats program Power loss in the throttle. | Harley Davidson Forums

Power loss in the throttle.

mydeluxe

On may FLSTNI the trouble started with a slight power loss in the throttle…then progressed to were it had no power and then cut off…after cut off I could start again idle only…if I give it gas she cuts off…any ideal on were to start to find out what’s wrong??? Only thing I think of is I used some of the gas I had lift over from winter with fuel stabilizer in it…and that may be fouling out the plug…

From your description, it sounds like fuel starvation. 2005, is is carb. or inj.? If carb. you can drain the float bowl (see self help tips), if inj. check the tank filter. Keep us posted with your actions and findings.

I would try fresh fuel first. After that if it's fuel injected, I would look at fuel pump pressure, fuel filter, inside convoluted tank hose etc.

My bike cut out while I was riding several weeks ago. My tank lining is starting to flake off and clogging the filter on the Petock. I dropped the Petock and flushed the tank and there were alot of white flakes. I plan to do a better job later in the season. It may not be your problem but its a possibility. Good luck with it - Bob

On may FLSTNI the trouble started with a slight power loss in the throttle…then progressed to were it had no power and then cut off…after cut off I could start again idle only…if I give it gas she cuts off…any ideal on were to start to find out what’s wrong??? Only thing I think of is I used some of the gas I had lift over from winter with fuel stabilizer in it…and that may be fouling out the plug…

Hmmm. Check this out and see if it describes your problem. If you do have to pull stuff out of the tank, change the fuel filter and pressure regulator anyway.

Engine Dies And Runs In Spurts - Harley Davidson Community

As a note to readers, the "I" in the model designation indicates that it is fuel injected engine. That will apply to the model designations.

TQ

I would think hose deterioration is function of time not mileage. Maybe TQ will agree.

Back