Power for a GPS

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by BikeSAG, Jun 9, 2012.

1. BikeSAG

BikeSAG Active Member

OK I am adding a GPS unit for 07 FLSTC and I know about the various mounts and all that what I don't know is about adding the 12V power plug in connection.

How hard is it and what exactly did some of you use?

Thanks in advance. (pulling a map out while riding is a real pain):D

2. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

I bought a "Y" type power adapter from O'reillys $10. Male plugs in, then there's 2 female receptacles on separate 4" wires. I cut one female receptacle off soldered longer wires on and wired it straight to my battery with a 15a fuse on the positive side. I used a "P" clamp (like what is used for mounting conduit to a wall) to mount it on my front down tubes, just under my tank. Not even visible to the casual look.

3. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

For charging/powering various devices i have a 12 volt lighter socket that i can plug into my battery tender pig tail then i will use the appropriate 12 volt power adaptor for the device
    as most modern sat nav units work off usb power 5.5 volts an appropriate charger unit is required to do the voltage reduction otherwise the device will burn out
    My battery tender pigtail has an in-line fuse and all the charger units i use have their own fuses

Brian

4. Mavagrand

Mavagrand Senior Member

+1. This is what i did with my road king.

5. lorne

lorne Senior Member

+ 2 on my RK. make a nice instalation

6. BikeSAG

BikeSAG Active Member

Thanks, guys. I also have the pig tail for my battery tender, that's the way I'll go.