free website stats program power commander went to lunch | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

power commander went to lunch

I'm going to go with a PC V. I spoke with Fuel Moto the other day and told them what I have and they said that they have the PC V downloaded for the pipes and airlceaner that I have and that is ready to go. Plug and play. 2 year warranty and free down loads for as long as I have it, soooo that sounds pretty good to me, not to mention that they are nice people to work with.

I should be getting my PC-V in the mail tomorrow, Fule Moto is sending it maped. Have Rush 1.75 on her now and I bought an SE air cleaner to install with PC-V. Next is Tac and seat. Should all be on by Saturday and the temp should be 70. Love Phoenix in the winter.

have an '05 rk classic...bought it last fall...5,300mi. GORGEOUS bike....... had a stage III, bassani 2 into 1 road rage...screaming eagle intake.....first harley (hit a deer in '92 on the rice burner.....ended riding for a while)...
took the bike into a dealer to make sure everything was tuned as it should be. they told me i needed the PC3...........got it back after they ran the dyno, and it missed terribly on initial startup......evened out after a minute or 2 and ran great, but back-fires when i roll-off the throttle.....; took it back, and they "re-tuned" it so it didn't miss/backfire any more.....didn't trust the "re-tune", so took it to another dealer in town......; they re-did the map (first place did a canned map; second place supposedly set a custom map)
well, it's back to missing on startup and back-firing some, but really runs great on the road.....
so, i'm hoping everything's good........but, how would i know...?

i'm riding the rk as is w/ the stage 1 map. starts and idles up in cold weather and is very smooth. not at all like it was running. not putting a pc back on the bike. taking the new u/c in for frnt tank mounts on mon so i'll still be on the king for awhile.

h
well, it's back to missing on startup and back-firing some, but really runs great on the road.....
so, i'm hoping everything's good........but, how would i know...?

An Engine Missing & an engine Backfiring are two completely different things. Backfiring and Popping on de-acceleration are also two different things.

I would not go too crazy over warm up engine missing as long as it was over quickly but would Never accept backfiring as "OK" under any condition.

I have had 2 PC on my bikes. One on my Duece and one on RG. Never had a problem with either one. Love em!

I've had both the PCIII and PCV (both without and now with Auto-Tune) on my present bike with no problems in 34k miles. If the PC dies, which is a very remote possibility, you can simply plug the ECM in its stock configuration and go forth. On recent models with O2 sensors you can re-attach them and you'll be back in narrow-band closed-loop mode like stock if desired--or simply run in open-loop mode without them.

Fuel Moto, who is the world's #1 seller of PC's, says they have far less than 1% returned, and most of them were misbehaving because of user install errors or problems not involving the PC. Also, the PC cannot "take out" the ECM, as it is a passive device that functions downstream of the ECM, and it isn't even aware the PC is attached.

thanks Hoople (as in "Mott"?.....),....
ANYWAY, by definition, it's probably more of a pop on roll off than back-fire.......i'm a worrier by nature......; i worry more about the engine running for a long time vs. getting every possible horse/ft. lb. torque out of her.....
one other thing.....my mileage sure doesn't seem to be what it ought to.....getting between 34-36 mpg.......does that seem right.
Thanks for your thoughts!

I put a PCV w/ Autotune on my Ultra and have put on 13K miles this year with no problems. Electronics do go bad.....water and heat are especially tough on them. I do like the fact that "IF" mine ever goes bad I can plug in the stock ECM and my stage 2 download is there waiting for me.

Back