free website stats program Power Commander Problems | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Power Commander Problems

With the Power Commander installed on my bike it will not idle.

Which now takes me back to entry point #1 above. What does "will not idle" mean. Can you keep it running with the throttle grip? It dies? Idles too low? Won't run under 1500 RPM?..Loading up with fuel?..It starts, which is below idle..

Which now takes me back to entry point #1 above. What does "will not idle" mean. Can you keep it running with the throttle grip? It dies? Idles too low? Won't run under 1500 RPM?..Loading up with fuel?..It starts, which is below idle..

Yes, I can keep the bike running with the throttle grip. Idle is within Harley Davidson specs both with the PC III connected and when it is not. Bike will not keep running under 1200 with PC III connected. I have not tried leaning out the fuel under 1200 rpm. Sometimes after it dies at idle I have to twist the throttle grip to get it to start.

I have never used a Power Commander but I would bet that once installed, the IAC is now driven by the PC or at least THROUGH it and the factory ECM no longer drives the IAC directly. Remember that the IAC does not have feedback to the ECM telling it what position it is in.

I would try this test in order to eliminate 1 part of this puzzle.
Remove the fuse that is labeled "Fuel Pump" in your fuse caddy. Remove the air cleaner. Put the Run/Kill switch in the "Kill" position. Turn ignition key to ON. Place your ear down at throttle body and flip the Kill switch to RUN. When you do, you should hear the IAC stepper "park and reset"? With the fuel pump disconnected, it should be very noticeable. It's almost like a Tick tick tick, cricket sound.

Now, is the IAC responding by performing a Park & reset?

I have never used a Power Commander but I would bet that once installed, the IAC is now driven by the PC or at least THROUGH it and the factory ECM no longer drives the IAC directly. Remember that the IAC does not have feedback to the ECM telling it what position it is in.

I would try this test in order to eliminate 1 part of this puzzle.
Remove the fuse that is labeled "Fuel Pump" in your fuse caddy. Remove the air cleaner. Put the Run/Kill switch in the "Kill" position. Turn ignition key to ON. Place your ear down at throttle body and flip the Kill switch to RUN. When you do, you should hear the IAC stepper "park and reset"? With the fuel pump disconnected, it should be very noticeable. It's almost like a Tick tick tick, cricket sound.

Now, is the IAC responding by performing a Park & reset?

Just did what you said, did not eliminate the problem. While I was in the fuse box I cleaned all the fuse contacts.

The power commander has been removed and re-installed several times. When the power commander is on the bike will not idle and dies. With the power commander off the bike runs and idles great.

Hope it works out for you, if not please contact me because I am taking them to small claims court.
GOOD LUCK.... THIS is Why I suggest the TFI or Gen3 over the "Hard to get it to work" Fuelers...

If you get your money back or not, You might want to get a TFI,,, So many on this site use it and are Very Happy with the results...

HDT discount Plus a Huge one from Dobecks If you qualify, First responders x- or active Military ,Police.fireman

Units run around 250$ area before discounts..

signed....BUBBIE

GOOD LUCK.... THIS is Why I suggest the TFI or Gen3 over the "Hard to get it to work" Fuelers...

If you get your money back or not, You might want to get a TFI,,, So many on this site use it and are Very Happy with the results...

HDT discount Plus a Huge one from Dobecks If you qualify, First responders x- or active Military ,Police.fireman

Units run around 250$ area before discounts..

signed....BUBBIE

Bubbie,, thanks for your post. I am looking at a SERT, TFI, or Fuel Pak. Don't know what is best.

There is no one best.
Best depends on what you want it to do and how much you are willing to spend and plans for the future of the bike..
Post your Needs, wants and wildest dreams if you could have it in a tune and we can give you lots to think about.

This bike I only what to do a stage one. I aready installed a SE air cleaner and would like to add slip-on exhaust system. Also, would like to cool it down a bit. Local temps get over a 100 degrees during the summer.

It was not suppose to eliminate the problem. It was only a test to see if the IAC could step and had the ability to set an idle value.

OK I didn't under stand what an IAC was but I followed your directions. Its like a light, I don't know how it works but I can flip a switch.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK I didn't under stand what an IAC was but I followed your directions. Its like a light, I don't know how it works but I can flip a switch.

I have a bad habit of going off on a tangent to the technical side. Gotta learn to control that. Your probably going to be better off just converting over to a TFI like the others have said. In my opinion it's safer, easy to install and it just plain old works.

Mtaylor, has anyone checked to see if your map needs adjusting?

Swyped from my Evo 4G using Tapatalk

Back