free website stats program Power Commander III USB Issues | Harley Davidson Forums

Power Commander III USB Issues

Hi guys,

I have an 08 Streetglide with an Ness Big Sucker Air filter kit, Vance and Hines True Dual Headers, and Thundercone (Thunderheader) Slip-ons. I also have Panacea LED tail lights.

I recently purchased a PCIIIUSB and selected map M818-026 for "2008 HD Touring Model *Adv. Map* True Dual headers, thundercone slip-ons, Screamin' Eagle air filter, Stock ECM, Rev Xtend enabled." I installed the map properly, however here's my problem:

When on the throttle in 1st at 4000 RPM, 2nd at 4,250 RPM, or 3rd gear at 4,250 RPM (it probably happens in 4th, 5th, and 6th too, haven't gone that fast) the bike stutters, loses power, Tachometer drops, and then it backfires and starts up again.

Any ideas? Powercommander.com says it has an issue with custom led lights for map 109-411. (See quote below)

Applicable to 109-411
Symptom: The bike randomly cuts out or sputters while riding.

If custom LED tail lights are being used, they may give off interference up the line that causes the Power Commander to loose its 12 volt reference for power and shut off. The power wire (Red wire with bullet connector terminals) will need to be relocated to a keyed, solid 12 volt power source.

Would love any feedback. You guys seem very knowledgable.

Thanks!

It sounds like you just have to rewire the PCIII and you will be fine. I have PCV and I wonder if the same issues would apply since I will be installing LEDs myself. Time to do a bit of research.

Thanks! I think it tells me to rewire the controls for the LEDs and not the PCIII. Oh, you are right. It tells me the red wire from the PCIII. I'm going to try that and will let you know. Please tell me anything you learn.

Thanks for the response!

Hi guys,

The power wire (Red wire with bullet connector terminals) will need to be relocated to a keyed, solid 12 volt power source.

Thanks!

Where is the Red wire Presently connected?. Just curious how led tail lights would inject interference at only a certain RPM. From 0-3900 RPM your fine and then at 4200 RPM the LED's act like a rev limiter. Now that's a neat trick because I would think the LED'S tail lights were either on or off while going from 0-3900 RPM and not coming ON at 4250 RPM.

Good point! It's in the harness for the ECM. I'm not going to touch it. Am going to check out the rev limiter issue first. Just seems funny that any map would have a rev limit feature of 4,250, but it doesn't act like it rev limiting because it doesn't maintain that RPM, it actually cuts power to something (I'm assuming the PCIII) and then kicks back in.

My next option is to install a different map. Will let you know. Anybody else ever experience this?

Call Dynojet and talk to one of their techs,tell them what's going on and see what they say...I have talked to then a couple times over the last 6yrs with questions about my PCIII and they have helped me out every time...Great people to deal with and they really stand behind their product.

I would unplug the 8 pin multi link conector under the seat, this will dissable the rear LED's

Find a SAFE area and test the bike with the rear tail lights dissconected.

This will tell you if that is the problem or if you need to tweek your map.

Bikerfishman, good call...sometimes the simplist isolation techniques (removing noise source, possible root cause) is the best approach. Especially if service note has stated know problem...obviously successful as a Biker & Fishman...

Just seems funny that any map would have a rev limit feature of 4,250, but it doesn't act like it rev limiting because it doesn't maintain that RPM, it actually cuts power to something (I'm assuming the PCIII) and then kicks back in.

I didn't mean there was a rev limiter feature that was set too low (4000 RPM). I meant it would be very strange that LED interference, caused by an improper tap into the harness, would cause interference that was so selective that it ACTED like a rev limiter.

I could see the LED controller injecting hash into the power source but what I would like to know is why is it so selective to that RPM range. Just thinking out-loud.
Post what you find if you have a chance.

Back