free website stats program Power Commander "BIG PROBLEM"? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Power Commander "BIG PROBLEM"?

Hmmmm, heat/vibration related electrical issue, thats gonna be a hard one to crack. Just a shot in the dark here, are there any over size breakers that may be masking another issue untill it/they finally trip? I've seen it before where there is a bad circuit that keeps tripping a breaker so someone puts in a higher rated breaker and it works better for a little while. Might help narrow the search down a bit. Like I say just a shot in the dark might be nothing to it. In any case someone is in for a bunch of time with a test meter and wiring schematics, unless they get lucky and find an issue in short order I might start thinking about a total harness replacement, as well as testing every electrical anything you can get a meter to.

" I took the bike in because it was intermittently powering down - lights and all. Most times I could switch the ignition off and then back on and the bike would restart. Other times I would need to let the bike sit for a few minutes before it would restart."

Going by this description it sounds like a circuit breaker is tripping.

MerlinBush,

What were the Total charges so far from that Last repair?

I think THEY should Lighten up on the repair labor this time IF you take it back to them..:newsmile055:

I'll wait for a reply and then will respond...:(

signed....BUBBIE

So far: at both shops I have spent $3500. The Service Manager told me that he was not going to charge me another penny and that they where do whatever it took to find and fix the issue.

======================================================

I have forwarded each of these suggestions to the service manager - we will see what comes of it. Thank you to all of you for the continued support.

Last edited by a moderator:
You said, " shutting down, lights and all." I would look at replaceing all circuit breakers and while doing so make sure all connections at the breakers are clean and snug. Good luck!

I have forwarded each of these suggestions to the service manager - we will see what comes of it. Thank you to all of you for the continued support.

Didn't the 02 have too Light of connectors on their wire connectors.... Seems that Hoople suggested to Look there on a bike or two in the past..

HD KNOWS about this but is silent...... You Have to ask them Thru a Dealer... yaw,,, sure,,,

Just Saying

signed....BUBBIE

Message from the Dealer!

Hey Merlin, We run continuity tests on any wiring in question to eliminate any questions in wiring, Curt is working on your bike right now. He is currently relocating your circuit breaker, every time we heat it up with a heat gun it shuts bike off. So, fingers crossed buddy..

Message from the Dealer!

Hey Merlin, We run continuity tests on any wiring in question to eliminate any questions in wiring, Curt is working on your bike right now. He is currently relocating your circuit breaker, every time we heat it up with a heat gun it shuts bike off. So, fingers crossed buddy..

WELL, That is still good news even though over 3 grand later:small3d002:

Hope that is it.

signed....BUBBIE

" I took the bike in because it was intermittently powering down - lights and all. Most times I could switch the ignition off and then back on and the bike would restart. Other times I would need to let the bike sit for a few minutes before it would restart."
TWO "BINGO's"

hogrotten said ;
Going by this description it sounds like a circuit breaker is tripping.

2000classic You said, " shutting down, lights and all." I would look at replaceing all circuit breakers and while doing so make sure all connections at the breakers are clean and snug.

.............. GOOD CALL you Guys.........

signed....BUBBIE

Yes, the PC is removed. Service told me that they put some kind of stock HD tuner on it from another bike that was a 103. They said that the bike kept "burning up" the new HD tuners. Bike IS running now but, they said its not tunable and that they really are not confident with the fix.

Where do these mechanics get thier training ? It just floors me when a dealer certified mechanic can't find a solution to a problem at $90 an hour !

Back