free website stats program Power Comander Install | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Power Comander Install

I recently had a PC installed on my bike and experienced the same loud popping on decel. I had my local dealer install the PC and had it tuned on their dyno. Unbelievable improvement. I still have that slight popping on decel but it seems much quieter. This sound seems normal and it is also running about 10 degrees cooler.
I have a 2006 Heritage Softail (88B) with Thunderheader 2-1 exhaust and MoFlow low-restriction intake. I have the Power Commander III USB and the proper map for this setup.

I got this bike used this past March...the bike was absolutely annoying when you cut the throttle at speed...popping and backfiring like crazy. All my research has shown that the backfiring is due to too-lean fuel on deceleration.

Two things:
MOST IMPORTANTLY - go through the Power Commander procedure to ZERO THE THROTTLE. Otherwise you will always be in the wrong part of the map, since the PC can only guess at your throttle setting based upon preset defaults. You must do this with the bike turned off and the 9V DC Battery thingie powering the Power Commander. If you ever adjust the throttle cables, do it again.

Secondly: I added "16" in the zero-throttle setting for all RPMs and got rid of 95% of the popping on decel. It has made a huge difference. BUT IT DID NOT WORK UNTIL I ZEROED THE THROTTLE!

At idle, when I first hooked up the computer, the PC software thought I was at 4% throttle. Re-zeroed (without bike running, using the 9V battery rig) and it has run great ever since...in fact, better than I ever would have imagined.

The "16" means "16% more duration than the factory ECU setting" for the injectors. At zero throttle, it will be a little rich at low throttle, low RPM (like idle), so you can zero the first few RPM settings if you like, up to maybe 750 RPM. I zeroed mine in the first few cells, but I noticed it started a bit easier when I had "16" there.

I still get the occasional pop immediately when I decel, but I think it is because the PC thinks I am at 2% throttle, which I may be momentarily (no change in that column of the map.)

Poping may be due to air leaks not PC.
SE pipes are not real aggressive pipes, so a setting close to stock may help also

I had replaced the gaskets on my Thunderheader 2-1, re-torqued after a couple of weeks...nothing helped until I richened the zero-throttle column on the PC, and it was instantly a success.

You mileage may vary.

Back