free website stats program Power, but won't start | Harley Davidson Forums

Power, but won't start

cyborg

09 Dyna FXDC, got power everywhere. Lights,Horn,Turn`s,Fuel Pump,Dash, Turn the key on, hit the run/stop switch, push the start button and Nothing. Not even a click or a buzz. Bike has been sitting for about 2 weeks.
Anybody???
HELP

Put bike in gear rock back and forth. Then try to restart holding clutch in.
Make sure to check battery cables. May not be a secure connection.
If you have security system maybe a issue.

A long shot, but is it in gear? Pull the clutch in and try?
OOPs, pretty much duplicate of above. Disregard.

Last edited:
Does the bike have the factory security system. Do the flashes start to blink on/off when you try to start it.

It the answer is "No" to both questions perform this test.

1) Place Bike in NEUTRAL.

2) Remove the fuse cover and locate the start Relay. It is the GRAY one. On the inside cover there is a label that will identify the START Relay.

3) Be Sure bike is in NEUTRAL

4) Look at the bottom of the removed gray relay closely. You will see pin notation as follows. 87,,87A,,30,,85,,86.

5) Leave the relay REMOVED from the bike. Get (2) 12" pieces of wire and stripe 1/2" from each end. Insert 1 wire into the female terminal that would be #30 in the fuse panel socket. Insert the other WIRE (NOT END of 1st wire) into #87 of the fuse panel socket.

6) Make SURE bike is in NEUTRAL.

7) Turn on ignition ON and Kill switch to run. When you touch both of your installed wires together DOES bike crank./start?

09 Dyna FXDC, got power everywhere. Lights,Horn,Turn`s,Fuel Pump,Dash, Turn the key on, hit the run/stop switch, push the start button and Nothing. Not even a click or a buzz. Bike has been sitting for about 2 weeks.
Anybody???
HELP

With a trickle charger on it? Both ends of the battery cables clean and tight? Whats the amps,ohms,volts reading? Plus what everybody else has suggested! :D

Thanks for everybody`s help. Problem solved, was at the dealer talking to a Tech let me try a used but good starter relay. BINGO :worthy

Does the bike have the factory security system. Do the flashes start to blink on/off when you try to start it.

It the answer is "No" to both questions perform this test.

1) Place Bike in NEUTRAL.

2) Remove the fuse cover and locate the start Relay. It is the GRAY one. On the inside cover there is a label that will identify the START Relay.

3) Be Sure bike is in NEUTRAL

4) Look at the bottom of the removed gray relay closely. You will see pin notation as follows. 87,,87A,,30,,85,,86.

5) Leave the relay REMOVED from the bike. Get (2) 12" pieces of wire and stripe 1/2" from each end. Insert 1 wire into the female terminal that would be #30 in the fuse panel socket. Insert the other WIRE (NOT END of 1st wire) into #87 of the fuse panel socket.

6) Make SURE bike is in NEUTRAL.

7) Turn on ignition ON and Kill switch to run. When you touch both of your installed wires together DOES bike crank./start?

Good stuff in there Hoople. Let me ask a follow-up and that is when you jump those 2 wires together and it cranks and fires up, has that identified the starter relay as in need of replacement?

I'll say thanks in advance as sometimes I forget where a thread I've posted in is...and may take a while to refind it lol....so thanks -

when you jump those 2 wires together and it cranks and fires up, has that identified the starter relay as in need of replacement?

No, and let me explain why..

That procedure actually splits all the possible items it can be in 1/2. If that test was a "pass", it would eliminate with 100% certainty, the starter and starter solenoid from the picture and all the associated wiring, all the way back to the fuse box. It would demonstrate that all the heavy starter grounds were OK also. Passing just that one simple test would eliminate a dozen possible items it could have been. It also by-passes all security and safety interlocks, plus any issues you may have with the TSSM. Remember that "Start Relay Control" is under the command of the TSSM.

If the OP had tried that test and it failed, my focus would have been on the starter and starter solenoid itself along with the associated wiring to the starter.

Now lets say the test "passed". The engine cranked when he touched the wires together. OK, now the next step would have been to place a voltmeter meter on pins #85 & #86 of the start relay SOCKET. Then Hit the start button as if you were trying to start the bike. If you DID read 12 volts on your meter, you would immediately know the start relay was bad.

If you did NOT read 12 volts, you would have to go back to the TSSM and hot wire (bypass it) in order to determine where the problem was. Also testing the start button would be something to check also.

The key point to remember is that the "Start Relay Control" comes from the TSSM. Alarm, clutch inhibit & neutral safety all come from the TSSM. The TSSM controls the start relay.

Anybody???
HELP

09, two year warranty, seems self explanitory! Take it to the dealer make them fix it.JMTCW :s

Man that's some good stuff Hoop. Thanks for taking the time to post on that. I've got that debug process noted should I ever have start problems - thanks

Back