powder coating

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by Fisherking, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Fisherking

Fisherking Active Member

Has anyone ever powder coated their tins?
    Can u powder coat a faring and bags .
    I know it needs to be heated to about 400 ºf
    Thanks F.k.
    [​IMG]

2. kdaddy

kdaddy Active Member

Maybe. Powder coating is done with paint paticles that will take an electrical charge. The part your coating gets a negative lead attached and the spray gets electrostatic charge at the nozzle. So its kinda like a magnet holding itself to the negative part. Its then heated to melt uniformly and cooled. Ther is new technolgy that allows a spray coating to be applied to the plastic so it is temporarily conductive on the surface. As its cured it degasses and evaporates. This has been out a couple of years and is used in production situations. Call you local powder coat shop and see what they offer. Be warned you may have to pick a color they spray frequently as powder is expensive and would have to buy a minimum qty. As well as pay for equipment cleanup before and after.

3. Fisherking

Fisherking Active Member

I was thinking of doing it gunmetal chrome . ....

[​IMG]

So is the powder coat more brittle then paint? I was wondering about cracking on the plastic .

[​IMG]

Thanks Kdaddy
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2015
  4. kdaddy

kdaddy Active Member

In my experience powder coat is more durable like an industrial urethane. It will flex some without cracking. Sorta plasticy. I think the finished product is thicker than spray on paint. Things like card tables folding chairs and lawnmowers are typically powder coated nowadays.