free website stats program powder coating | Harley Davidson Forums

powder coating

Fisherking

Has anyone ever powder coated their tins?
Can u powder coat a faring and bags .
I know it needs to be heated to about 400 ºf
Thanks F.k.
WAP.gif

Maybe. Powder coating is done with paint paticles that will take an electrical charge. The part your coating gets a negative lead attached and the spray gets electrostatic charge at the nozzle. So its kinda like a magnet holding itself to the negative part. Its then heated to melt uniformly and cooled. Ther is new technolgy that allows a spray coating to be applied to the plastic so it is temporarily conductive on the surface. As its cured it degasses and evaporates. This has been out a couple of years and is used in production situations. Call you local powder coat shop and see what they offer. Be warned you may have to pick a color they spray frequently as powder is expensive and would have to buy a minimum qty. As well as pay for equipment cleanup before and after.

I was thinking of doing it gunmetal chrome . ....

WAP.gif

So is the powder coat more brittle then paint? I was wondering about cracking on the plastic .

WAP.gif

Thanks Kdaddy
WAP.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
In my experience powder coat is more durable like an industrial urethane. It will flex some without cracking. Sorta plasticy. I think the finished product is thicker than spray on paint. Things like card tables folding chairs and lawnmowers are typically powder coated nowadays.

Back