free website stats program Powder coating coming off lowrider block | Harley Davidson Forums

Powder coating coming off lowrider block

cow77485

HELP!
My 06 lowrider has never been wet and has been covered and in my shop but the powder coating is coming off in sheets? Looks like a white powder under the coating.
Has anyone else experienced this? Any way to fix it?

HELP!
My 06 lowrider has never been wet and has been covered and in my shop but the powder coating is coming off in sheets? Looks like a white powder under the coating.
Has anyone else experienced this? Any way to fix it?

Yep. Sorry. That is the way it goes with powder coat. Not a very robust coating. The grit from the road hammers the paint forming pin holes to the metal (aluminum). Water and stuff gets in there and corrosion forms further loosening the paint. Then next time hit by grit, off it comes. My engine and tranny on the little bike (Dyna) looked like it was SAND BLASTED (which it was!). Like Hobbit said, you just have to clean it up and paint it with high temp paint as a temporary fix. Long term, if you want a more durable coating, check out teflon from Poly Dyn (Polymer Dynamics).

Performance Coatings by PolyDyn

TQ

No problems here yet, in Jax. Fl. lots of salt in the air even tho I am 20 miles from the ocean, keeping my fingers crossed , Jack

Back