free website stats program Post Your Bad/Problem Parts | Page 9 | Harley Davidson Forums

Post Your Bad/Problem Parts

Bought one of hose LED tank caps for the dummy side of my RK. First one worked approximately 3,000 miles and burnt out. Had only had the thing for a couple of months. Dealership said they only backed electronics for 1 month from purchase. The thing cost around $120. and I was a little shall we say, upset. :newsmile055: They finally agreed to give me another one. The new one lasted less than 1000 miles. Oh the dealer also said they had problems with them all the time and they were junk! Didn't stop them from selling them.

I didn't even bother with the hassle of trying to get them to replace it. Just went to the old method of filling when I hit the number of miles that I knew meant I was low.

Really frosted me that they would sell a product, and still do, that was known defective. Won't ever buy any HD aftermarket electronics again...

Transmission pulley completely wore out at 5000 miles, and the drive belt was too, on my 2000 FXR4. You could cut yourself on those sharp teeth. And rocker box gaskets (of course) at about the same time. (Evo).

'06 Dyna (need I say more?) Alternator magnet bolts came out destroying the stator. I was lucky none of the magnets were knocked loose and I was able to fix it by replacing the stator. New bolts installed with safety wire. It happened about 8 miles from home and I rode it home, fixed it myself.

How about we make it into a thread discussing what parts or components of our harley bike are the most easily worn out and needed to change very frequently ?

03 Ultra had a defective gas tank That while under Extended Waranty was declared clean and fuel crossover clear. Last spring a few months after the waranty expired I found the Tank liner peeling off in many areas of the tank and one of the crossover fittings was Brazed shut at the factory. The Tech that worked on the bike was gone and dealers responce was "sorry about your luck".

Inner primary bearing failure at 24,000 miles through no fault of my own.

Two recalls for hydraulic clutch ,one for coolant reservoir and one for brake line hoses under fuel tank.Almost forgot, recall for saddle bag mounting receptacles..Never had a problem before or after recalls.30,000 miles on her(Amber) now!!

2003 FLSTCI bought new in October of 2002. (8 miles on odometer when I took possession)
1. Inner/outer cam chain tensioners three times.
2. Fuel line inside tank three times.
3. Rotor and Stator replaced one time.
4. Replaced both front and rear brake rotors one time.
5. Replaced mainshaft one time.
6. Replaced mainshaft fifth gear one time.
7. Replaced mainshaft countershaft gear one time.
8. Replaced all seals three times.
9. Rebuilt transmission one time.
This is what I remember doing in a period of 13 years and I have 83,000 miles on the odometer now 03/29/16.

Back