free website stats program Post Your Bad/Problem Parts | Page 8 | Harley Davidson Forums

Post Your Bad/Problem Parts

got the dyna out of the garage for the first time in two years and noticed the chrome is peeling all over cam covers, clutch cable housing.push rod tubes, points cover. every single piece of chrome except the primary cover and the coil cover.
The garage is bone dry all year round, and every chromer I've spoken to has said that peeling chrome is ONLY EVER CAUSED BY POOR MANUFACTURING TECHNIQUES apparently good plated parts can be left in salt water till the base metal rots off the back and it won't peel.
Also if it was caused by neglect/salt etc surely the primary and coil covers would be affected as well.
The finish on HD's seems to be as bad as the engineering is good

Oh yeah, and the head steady mounting bolts keep working loose despite copious amounts of loctite

Last edited by a moderator:
The D407F (Front tire) was cupping so badly I had to replace @ 9400 miles. Dealer said there was nothing they could do, which truly stunned me:) A little piece of black wrinkle paint peeled off the top of the motor/tranny case area. All else is well so far!

Had the same problem with my front tire except the dealer did replace under warranty with similar miles on it . The service guy said it may have been caused by under or over inflating??

Also installed a set of chrome wind deflectors for my road king and they are not notched were they meet with the engine guards. Thererfore, you are unable to fully steer your bike without making contact with your engine guard. The wind deflectors I installed on my heritage had the notch in them so they did not contact the engine guard. Very disappointed with harley on this one. I've had to remove them from the RK and will have them notched and rechromed so I can fully steer bike. Pretty much a waste of $100 due to poor design.

Bob

'06 FXD35i:

So far-
1. Inner primary bearing.
2. Inner primary bearing (6 months later).
3. Stator/rotor detonation.
4. Steering head bearings clunk.

I bought the bike in '08 with 66 miles on it.

09 superglide
1. spines on the shifter shaft and shifter striped
2. 2 weeks later inner primary seal and inner primary bearing
3. front motor mount at 12k miles
4. intake leak
5. cap on front brake resivor
6. now have a oil leak where the 2 crank case halfs come together behind rear cyilinder.

All have been or will be fixed under waranty.

Dave

07 Heritage
Well, I am losing the count of fails. Let me remember

1. Primary / transmission leak. That hidden seal ...
2. Voltage regulator, fried
3. Stator, also fried
4. Bad location of a Power Commander III (twice) almost broke some electrical wires.
5. The potential, threatening, recall for the battery: some guys suffered an electrical problem from bad isolation of the battery. The electrical current find the ground ... Through your oil lines. Your dream of being Ghost Rider can become true ;-)

All but the latter, after the warranty expired. Bad luck, I suppose
WAP.gif

Noticed fairing wobbling, took it in at 7500 oil change had it checked out. All four brackets were broken. No problems yet with the new ones, ( 32K). No charge.

HK Stereo on my 06 Street Glide went silent (no sound from speakers even thou power was still on) after 1 year of use. Replaced under warranty but HD would only give me a refurbished unit and had to pay a $50.00 deductable and wait 3 months for an available unit. Referbished unit went bad (same problem) after 3 months, replaced again with another refurbished unit, cost zero. Second refurbished unit went bad again (same problem, you would think the dealeer would check for why this keeps occuring??? Something causing the unit to go bad??) after 1 year, sold the bike and got a new 2010 Road Glide.

I own a small shop here in Iowa, where J&P cycle main office is, I've changed tires for people that buy tires from companies like these and the tires could be 3 yrs old when you get them new. My tires are shipped from TR fresh and new and at the close prices as J&P offers to the customers.

Another problem with the XL's is the ignition module. Heat eats these things for lunch. Midwest motorcycle supplies sells a module that is dual or single made from dynatech but sold by Ultima, this is a sweet module and works well and for a long time and easy to set up. If your a wheely king the anglebank sensor will give you fits and with this module you can cancle it out and just use the VOES.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where to start,In 2009 spring my 08 ultra classic Fla. front fairing brackets 0 cost, 2 starters Ky., Wy. inner primary, Co. bearings in tranny,Compansator nut at least 10 times,neck bearing.clutch hub had crack,3 teeth missing dealer did not want to replace said not bad enough,But when i got there they had repaired it of course i thought i was going to jail but at least it got fixed no cost on any 20 months 39,480 miles. My new 2010 ultra classic @ 24,000 miles noticed the Same noise from the front yep Compansator,dealer will replace with SE compansator,Stator,Tranny Bearings,Starter started to drag,At least they are going to replace everythine under warrrenty.I really hope this can solve the problems,I need a reliable ride..:bigsmiley19:

Back