free website stats program Possibly timing trouble???? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Possibly timing trouble????

Good to know. I never even thought about the Stator failing under a load. Is this a test that needs to be performed with the new Voltage Regulator or can I test with the bad one and get accurate reading? Not sure if a load will be placed on Stator without the Voltage regulator pulling it's weight so to speak.

Good to know. I never even thought about the Stator failing under a load. Is this a test that needs to be performed with the new Voltage Regulator or can I test with the bad one and get accurate reading? Not sure if a load will be placed on Stator without the Voltage regulator pulling it's weight so to speak.

Once you get the new regulator, you will be able to do the needle tap load test. Then you will know if the stator is bad. Needle tap load test was here, Entry point #6

Charging system problem - Harley Davidson Community

An even quicker way to check if the stator is bad...crack open the primary chain inspection/adjustment lid or the derby cover and *sniff* for a burnt electrical smell (should smell like plain gear oil if stator is not overheating). THEN do the voltage check (as I always check for 2 conditions/symptoms pointing me to the root cause).

Back