free website stats program Possible issue with front/rear tire alignment? | Harley Davidson Forums

Possible issue with front/rear tire alignment?

dogknott

I've been trying to track down some issues on my 05 Electra glide standard and have been pretty much chasing my tail. Instead of posting a question about this right off the bat I've been reading & searching posts on the site to try and steer me in right direction but here I am:eam First my issues started with crazy cornering and overall handling and it ended up being steering neck bearing nut being FINGER TIGHT...well that took care of that but the bike has a vibration from idle to around 1500-1800rpms. Not wheels or tires, you can turn bike off going down the road and it's smooth as silk. Few weeks back I installed one of the progressive rear stabilizer, could it be possible my vibrations are coming from that? But back to my alignment issue, the bike still handles funny compared to when I bought it earlier in the year. Well a buddy was riding with me and was following me and says rear tire isn't tracking same as front. Said it's over to left hand side more(if standing behind bike). And yes before it's asked, it is a rebuilt bike....In my opinion I do not think this is the culprit. Damage was minor to the front. They replaced fender, forks, & triple trees only. Only reason trees were replaced was because owner found deal on entire used front end with forks & trees. It handled fine when I bought it and have only put 6k on it. Also noticed last week the drive belt wasn't centered on sprocket, it was slightly over to right hand side of sprocket. Sorry for long post but it's driving me nuts!! Can anyone gimme a lil insight???!!!

as far as the viberation goes the answer is yes you will feel it more with the stabilizer i'm running the same one on my 08 but it's worth the better handling in the curves ,:bigsmiley23:as far as tracking it sounds like the rear tire is in line just off to one side could it be a spacer issue

How many miles on the tires? What type of tires and are they a set? What tire pressure are you running? Not to question the rebuild but if there was front end damage was the frame checked for alignment? Head bearings can be damaged with just a slight front end hit, and the bearing races may be damaged enough to start giving you problems. Have you done a fall away test on the front end.

fall away test done around 2 weeks ago. Tire pressure is right on (1st thing I checked). Tires arent "matching" set, front is a factory dunlop and rear tire just changed 2 months ago with a Metzler. Front tire will need replacing in next month or so no doubt as much as I ride but I'm going ahead and putting 21" RC Component wheel on when time to replace tire. Found vibration issue. Head pipe was just barely touching motor in the bend of it. It rides exceptionally well to have an alignment issue?? Can only really tell it if you accelerate when turning slow. If it's a spacer issue how can it be corrected? Thanks for all replies!

There are some really basic and simple measurements that can be done to check alignment of the rear axle in relation to the swing arm and also in relation to the front wheel. A few years ago when I bought my FXR, checking this was one of the first things I did. If you have an owners manual, that is the place to go. If something is out of whack, the manual will tell you how to tell, and also what to do about it....

I had a little trouble with my Road Glide feeling loose under me. Finally tracked it down to loose swing arm bolts. Might not be your problem but don't take but a minute to check.

thanks again for the info. I've got a clymer's manual but didn't see anything regarding alignment of rear tire in relation to front? Read plenty of aligning motor. What causes rear wheel to be offset and not in line with front wheel/tire??

I had very simular issues with my 06 rd king it turened out to be a bad front tire. the tire looked ok and I knew I would need a new one come spring (next year) but it felt loose in the corners and at low speeds would drift on me. couldent figure it out , asked everyone, finally stopped at a dealership and was looking my bike over and an older mechanic came out and took it for a ride, came back and said he thought it was the front tire breaking down, sure enough it fixed all my problems. good luck and keep us posted. by the way through that clymer awaaaay and get a hd service manual, lots more info and more user friendly! I know I bought a clymer first then bought the hd second!

Here is an article from the Motorcyclemetal.com website that gives a good explanation of wheel alignment. It should help shed some light on the subject and possible fixes to alignment issues.

Attachments

• Harley Davidson Wheel Alignment Made Simple.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 46
I may just go ahead and order the 21" RC Component wheel and put it on to see if it is front tire. I've still got enough tread to prob make it couple more months but we're heading to smokies in less than 3 wks and would def like to resolve all issues before then!!

Back