free website stats program Possible fix for the heat | Harley Davidson Forums

Possible fix for the heat

Sunnysideup

After last weekend's long ride I couldn't believe the heat coming off the right side exhaust. No way could this be good for the operation of the motor or oil in my opinion, not to mention my right foot, leg, and thigh. In doing research one helpful move is to replace the head pipe with a ceramic coated 2-1-2 head pipe from fuel moto. Yes I realize this might involve a fuel tuner and in air cleaner and possibly slipons to realize the performance gains. I'm just trying to reduce the heat so the bike will run cooler. Any ideas or suggestions?

You might consider a oil cooler. Some folks on the forum have them in place and seem pleased. I think most of the heat you are feeling is from engine and oil tank.

After last weekend's long ride I couldn't believe the heat coming off the right side exhaust. No way could this be good for the operation of the motor or oil in my opinion, not to mention my right foot, leg, and thigh. In doing research one helpful move is to replace the head pipe with a ceramic coated 2-1-2 head pipe from fuel moto. Yes I realize this might involve a fuel tuner and in air cleaner and possibly slipons to realize the performance gains. I'm just trying to reduce the heat so the bike will run cooler. Any ideas or suggestions?

The Fuel Moto pipe is a good replacement but if you go that route, plan on replacing mufflers as well for the full benefit of the exhaust upgrade. Install the SE or your aftermarket choice of hi flow air filter and get the bike tuned. The tune will make a noticeable difference in the heat you are experiencing.

The oil cooler is a good idea as well but it won't reduce the heat coming off the exhaust.

Besides the oil cooler or total exhaust, intake, and fuel retune, are there any other options? That baby was smokin'. Never felt anything like that on my 06 88ci Street bob

don't these bikes have oil coolers on them from the factory??? mine is a 2013 Ultra Limited and it has a factory oil cooler. I thought all the touring bikes came with them these days, but I could be wrong. and yes, mine was very hot even with the oil cooler until I removed the cats and did a stage I upgrade. still very warm, but a noticeable difference. although our hot Texas summer is just right around the corner and I'll find out more as it gets hotter outside.

The 103 and 110 do run hotter, lean is what the EPA is all about, your 96 inch Bob is way different:s
More fuel is going to be the answer here

don't these bikes have oil coolers on them from the factory??? mine is a 2013 Ultra Limited and it has a factory oil cooler. I thought all the touring bikes came with them these days, but I could be wrong. and yes, mine was very hot even with the oil cooler until I removed the cats and did a stage I upgrade. still very warm, but a noticeable difference. although our hot Texas summer is just right around the corner and I'll find out more as it gets hotter outside.

All 2014 touring models are equipped with oil coolers; the Ultra Limited and the CVO limited are "twin cooled"; air and water cooled. Actually the water cooling is really oil cooling with water being circulated around the exhaust port; not a true water cooled setup. Neither setup will help with the exhaust heat; they do get very hot.

I rented a 2012 and rode it through The Valley of Fire! Boy was it. That was the hottest thing I ever rode. I was afraid after riding it I would want a new bike. Not! I love my cables, carburetor and the rest of the oldness .

Going to talk to the Fuel Moto folks and see what they have to say about it all. I really love the bike and just trying to tweek it to suit me. Always just "lived with it" kinda thing before. But I do agree, going to take more fuel to cool her off some.

Ok spoke with Jamie @ Fuel Moto. Said the head pipe would make the most difference so I think I will start with that and go from there. I have one of those temperature readers. I will post the before and after temps.

Back