free website stats program Possible corrosion on new bike | Harley Davidson Forums

Possible corrosion on new bike

BuffaloBill

Hey Guys
Hope everyone's Christmas went well. here is my question I got caught in the rain a few days ago and decided to clean my bike today and took my seat off,saddlebags and noticed a white substance/film on the cad plating and on all my nuts and bolts including the axle pieces . The bike is leftover 09 RKC

It looks as it the bike may have been around a salt water environment I tried to clean the pieces but a mild abrasive still does not take the film off Should I discuss this issue with my Dealer?

My 09 Ultra did not have this issue

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Ride safe
BuffaloBILL

Last edited:
BB...corrosion on cadmium plated parts is "common" which is why military grade fasteners NEVER are allowed to have cadmium plated hardware.:(

Since your bike is under warranty, you could ask them to replace them, but personally I would ask they replace them with equivalent grade stainless steel fastener...JMO!

BB...corrosion on cadmium plated parts is "common" which is why military grade fasteners NEVER are allowed to have cadmium plated hardware.:(

Since your bike is under warranty, you could ask them to replace them, but personally I would ask they replace them with equivalent grade stainless steel fastener...JMO!
Cadmium coatings are sacrificial corrosion protection coatings widely used on steel and aluminum especially when exposed to alkaline and salt water environments. They also possess a very low coefficient of friction and low electrical resistivity which makes them ideal for corrosion protection coatings on threaded fasteners or electrical connectors...Cadmium plating is routine on military fasteners and the hardware itself...all over the C-17 landing gear assembly for example....

Hey Guys
Hope everyone's Christmas went well. here is my question I got caught in the rain a few days ago and decided to clean my bike today and took my seat off,saddlebags and noticed a white substance/film on the cad plating and on all my nuts and bolts including the axle pieces . The bike is leftover 09 RKC

It looks as it the bike may have been around a salt water environment I tried to clean the pieces but a mild abrasive still does not take the film off Should I discuss this issue with my Dealer?

My 09 Ultra did not have this issue

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Ride safe
BuffaloBILL
wire brush the fasteners to remove the sacrificial build-up and spray a corrosion prevention compound (like Corrosion-X) or use WD-40 (not as good but will work)

While I agree that cadmium plating has been used...the problem is sacraficial coatings are not necessarily the best thing for low maintenance environments. Take connectors for instance...the olive drab coating used has trace elements of cadmium, but the coating is easily scratched and not durable in practice. And since alternatives are available, not having corrosion in non maintained areas is a good thing IMO...but the option to use is open to personal taste in the consumer industry.

Last edited:
Question, You wouldn't by any chance have a pool and keep the bike indoors around any swimming pool chemicals close by? That too would have a direct impact on corrosion occuring on the fasteners. Even floating through the air, its very corrosive stuff. Just a thought.

Back