free website stats program Possibe oil overfill at 3 qts??!! Help! | Harley Davidson Forums

Possibe oil overfill at 3 qts??!! Help!

Changed the oil on my 05 sporty 1200c the other day. I was instructed to only put 3 qts in her and take for a ride to heat up engine/oil, then re-check the level. OMG when I popped the oil cap, it not only came flying off from the pressure that had built up, it appeared to be way overfilled! i don't get how that could happen. needless to say i immediately drained out the overfill. my question is this: how is that possible? i know the engine was completely drained prior to putting new oil in. anyone have any thoughts on what could be going on (why so little oil required) and also have i done any damage? what should i look for?

:bigsmiley15:

Probably no damage caused other than the mess it made. Most of the softails and sporties with the tank higher than the engine will sump engine oil into the engine when standing at some point in time.
If you are changing the oil, it's advisable to stand the bike upright and level and let it idle for a minute or so before dropping the oil out. This purges the oil that may have accumulated in the engine sump and returns it to the tank for complete draining.

If you find that the situation repeats itself after these steps are taken, a check of the oil pump may be needed on the scavenging aspect.

Probably no damage caused other than the mess it made. Most of the softails and sporties with the tank higher than the engine will sump engine oil into the engine when standing at some point in time.
If you are changing the oil, it's advisable to stand the bike upright and level and let it idle for a minute or so before dropping the oil out. This purges the oil that may have accumulated in the engine sump and returns it to the tank for complete draining.

If you find that the situation repeats itself after these steps are taken, a check of the oil pump may be needed on the scavenging aspect.

thanks, glider! one more comment: i had idled her on the stand to warm the engine oil up prior to pulling the plug on 'er. but, if i'm understanding you correctly (forgive me its early), you're saying i needed to stand 'er up level, eh? school me: what's the diff? what does the term sump mean? did i tell you i'm a girl!
:taunt

thanks, glider! one more comment: i had idled her on the stand to warm the engine oil up prior to pulling the plug on 'er. but, if i'm understanding you correctly (forgive me its early), you're saying i needed to stand 'er up level, eh? school me: what's the diff? what does the term sump mean? did i tell you i'm a girl!
:taunt

Sump is the bottom most part of the engine where the oil accumulates and by standing the bike up straight puts the oil left in the sump in the proper position for the scavenging portion of the pump to return it to the tank better.

Also best to ride the bike as opposed to idling it on the stand to warm up the oil.

Sump is the bottom most part of the engine where the oil accumulates and by standing the bike up straight puts the oil left in the sump in the proper position for the scavenging portion of the pump to return it to the tank better.

Also best to ride the bike as opposed to idling it on the stand to warm up the oil.

thanks again! that all makes total sense to me. coffee must be kicking in :)

Thought this might a good time ask my question.

My HD manual says "The pan is full when the oil level is at the upper mark on the dipstick with oil at normal operating temperature"
Bike also has to be level.

Is the dipstick pushed all the way down or resting on top of the neck when this is done..

I have a habit of overfilling and would like to get it right the first time

With the push in type, it gets pushed in to check the level. With the screw in type it rests on the threads and not screwed in.

Finally found my answere in OIL CHANGE TIPS after posting

The HD manual does not mention dip stick position so I will assume its pushed all the way down. :bigsmiley30:

Back