free website stats program Positive criticism only, please | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

Positive criticism only, please

Right on Mat, that is the harsh reallity of it all. Dont matter who is at fault dead is dead, you have to look after yourself out there.

I understand there are only three kinds of riders and I learned this in a safety course. Those who have been down, those who have not been down yet and those who lie about it. I can't count the times I went down on a dirt bike and three times on a street bike. Around 40k worth of surgery in the eighty’s. I quit riding for about 20 years and the desire never left me. My last time down was just after the safety course on a new to me bike, less than 3k miles; I froze in a curve and jumped a curb. The thing is it took me nearly 2 years to figure out why and not until the next time the symptom came back. My shoulder locked up. I still ride and under all the leather I look like Frankenstein but my wife supports me and I ride like I am the smallest bile on the road. Be safe ride smart and take the course. By the way I've never been on a bike without being sober.

I guess I must have frozen because I did not take evasive action.

Sounds like you have only been riding a short time. Or you have the $15,000 and 150 miles "I'm a biker" syndrome.

What went wrong....

1 - Lack of situational awareness. 2 - Following to close. 3 - Not using both brakes. 4 - You did not use or attempt to use an emergency avoidance maneuver.

I bet you have not practiced any emergency maneuvers. (on the soapbox) Practice, practice, practice. It you are not practicing these maneuvers, you will not to execute them when the situation arises. (off the soapbox)

I hate to say it. But the wife may be right. If you can not analyze what happened and see the issues, riding a motorcycle may not be for you.

If you freeze up in a situation like that, just think what would happen if you need to execute an emergency maneuver in a group of other riders or in fast moving traffic.

Back