free website stats program Positive criticism only, please | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Positive criticism only, please

I've been single my entire life and have pretty much done what I wanted when I wanted. I love riding so much that I honestly don't know what I'd do if I were married, had an accident and the wife wanted me to hang up the keys. I've taken a spill on the bike once over my years of riding (knock-on-wood), back when I was a younger lad, and got right back on the horse. I didn't think twice about it. I'm not sure how I'd respond now that I'm older. I'm guessing probably the same. I think I would probably have a heart-to-heart - let her know the passion (if it's still there for you) and if the love runeth deep, she may give you the green light, and you tell her for what she's given you, that you'll take out the most expensive life insurance policy you can afford for her. :D

As far as getting back on the horse, I'd definitely take a safety riding course. Heck, I need to do that myself come to think of it. Good luck.

===============================================

Oh yea - time for a new helmet. I've always understood that even if you drop a helmet onto the concrete, the helmets ability to protect you on impact is now suspect. Time for a new helmet.

Last edited by a moderator:
:(OK, I'm riding and following another rider, we come to an intersection, light is steady green, we start through intersection when rider in front hits his brakes hard, I also hit my brake, rear only, and just before coming to a stop, I tip over to the left and hit my head and my front tire makes contact with his rear fender. I get up, pick up my bike,no damage, helmet has slight scratch with no cracks or holes, restart and continue on to the VFW post where ride ends. I am fine with no problems, but I wind up, 30 days later, in the hospital, brain bleed, surgery, 9 days ICU and then to rehab for 3 weeks. I am back to normal now, I want to ride but wife wants bike to go.

Can anyone give me a tip as to what went wrong? There were no other riders aroung at the time, just the bike in front of me and he stated that he heard me skidding and knew there was going to be contact. I guess I must have frozen because I did not take evasive action.

Remember there is no shame it hanging it up if that is what you decide. Riding is not for everyone all the time.

I vote for the MSF rider course. try to take the advanced course bout every 2 years or so. learn something each time.

Riding in staggered formation should have prevented this kind of collision. I don't like to ride, or hunt with people I don't know, it's just too dangerous.

I'm going to give a big thumbs up on the MSF beginning riders course. I took it this past weekend and it almost whipped me. I just don't have the stamina at age 65 that I had at 25 when I last rode. Also the tight maneuvers that are expected on those little bikes are pretty tough when you have a fear of laying one down, embarrassing yourself and maybe even suffering a minor injury. I picked up on some habits I need to cultivate and practice and a few I need to eliminate. All in all well worth the time and $. As a result I think I am going to be a safer rider in the short term, I'm going to buy a small used bike to practice maneuvers thus improving skills for the long term. In fact, I intend to take the course again in a year or so to help determine whether or not I can proceed to the next level. Take the course. Your will be the beneficiary. Best wishes and rock on!
Ishmael

The key is to practice your skills faithfully. Don't just do it at the beginning of the riding season either, practice these skills throughout the season and often. I find myself practicing when I go to the grocery store in the parking lot. Have a safe season!

I sure hope the OP comes back to let us know what he thinks of all the comments and advice he's getting.

Maybe we're not being positive enough? :p

I'm going to give a big thumbs up on the MSF beginning riders course. .... ... ..... Your will be the beneficiary. Best wishes and rock on! Ishmael

Yea I actually enjoyed my riders course (except that I took it in September and we roasted on the hot asphalt in required long sleeve shirts and gloves).

It was a blast. Some folks could not ride at all, and others were better. But when the course was over everyone could ride at least acceptable. We had one crash (which the instructors told me is rare). A guy who had never ridden before at all, just lost control of his bike. And one girl came close to doing a wheely. No one was hurt though. Just took the turn signal off one of the bikes. But it was great, I was impressed with the course. It is all very structured and very disciplined.

every one makes a mistake eventually. the only thing is if you learn from the mistake.

I would say:
take a rider safety course.

70% of stopping power comes from the front break, so use it.

and have a longer following distance

dont beat yourself up on it. i have done something very similer.

good luck with the wife liking the idea about you riding. maybe get a smaller bike so its easyer to control.

Glad to here your ok. As for the question it sounds to me a panic stop, focused on the spot and thats where you hit. staggered riding and more room between riders is what I look at. but I myself had times where the front rider messed up and if I hadnt been riding staggered I would have ate the(EDIT) end of there bike. get back on and ride , and take all the advice you get here for this board ,there are a lot of good people here. tom

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Back