free website stats program Positive criticism only, please | Harley Davidson Forums

Positive criticism only, please

nfbmp

:(OK, I'm riding and following another rider, we come to an intersection, light is steady green, we start through intersection when rider in front hits his brakes hard, I also hit my brake, rear only, and just before coming to a stop, I tip over to the left and hit my head and my front tire makes contact with his rear fender. I get up, pick up my bike,no damage, helmet has slight scratch with no cracks or holes, restart and continue on to the VFW post where ride ends. I am fine with no problems, but I wind up, 30 days later, in the hospital, brain bleed, surgery, 9 days ICU and then to rehab for 3 weeks. I am back to normal now, I want to ride but wife wants bike to go.

Can anyone give me a tip as to what went wrong? There were no other riders aroung at the time, just the bike in front of me and he stated that he heard me skidding and knew there was going to be contact. I guess I must have frozen because I did not take evasive action.

How much space between you and rider? Did the back brake lock up? Would equal braking with front and rear brakes have made any other outcome? A lot of questions only you can answer IMO you were there, looking back in hind sight you are second guessing your judge ment of the situation JMO I would get back on that horse and take an advanced riders course, Glad you are OK:s

I think that Jack pretty much summed it all up. Only you can answer the question as to what went wrong. But for a moment, put yourself in the bride's perspective. Your hospital stay and subsequent rehab is no laughing matter. Anything to do with your noggin is some serious stuff. OK, she wants the bike to go, you want it to stay. As Jack said, maybe taking a rider ed course might be the ticket to putting her mind at ease. Glad you're OK and good luck.

Wow that's a rough result for that crash. I really don't know what to say except I'm glad you are ok now. I guess you and your wife need to give some time and discussion before you make a final decision.

You might think about leaving more room between you and the rider ahead. Sometimes there are things you can do and sometimes there isn't and it's rough.

I can tell you this. Many years ago, when the light turned green I was gone, had places to be and things to do. Then one day a guy ran the red light and broke my neck and a few other infirmities (I was in a small truck). I over came the damage with months of therapy. But ever since when the light turns green, I first look both ways before I pull out.

A bike is kind of an extension of your life. I won't say there aren't reasons for going back to a cage forever. But you also have to weight what is important to your life. I can empathize with your wife (especially if you guys are young) since she is thinking about the rest of your life if you get all crippled up. I am older and could die of many things at my age so I ride no matter what.

It is something you guys need to think about. Good luck to you.

Just from your short description of the accident, my feeling is that you had target fixation. You locked on to the target and did not look where you really needed to go. You stated that the last stop was at the VFW, how many stops were there before the VFW, and were you or the rider in front of you drinking? My last question is have you taken a riders safety course? I have been riding for over 50 years and I learned things in the course I had never thought of, I also learned to handle a bike even though I thought I knew how to ride. Things like proper braking technique and emergency evasion maneuvers. Maybe if you and your wife take a course together she will feel better about you riding again. I'm not preaching, but I really would like to see you back on the bike and safe.

... ..... .... Maybe if you and your wife take a course together she will feel better about you riding again. ... ... ...

Double on that. I keep forgetting it's not required in some states. Where I live you don't ride (legal) without a rider course completion card and the resulting stamp on you license.

I rode for years when I was younger and back then we had no such thing as motorcycle safety course. But I learned all kinds of things when I took mine. I was very impressed with the course.

If you are like most of us, you will re-live that experience over and over in your mind for a long time and hopefully learn from it. Glad to hear you are ok now.

That is why you should always use both brakes to stop .It becomes second nature ,and when you get into a panic situation ,it is automatic .From what you have said ,using both brakes would have made a world of difference . Glad you are better ,and good luck to you.

Sounds like more than just one thing was wrong, attention to stale green lights? Ability to perform a (panic stop)? Riding in a staggered pattern? For your safty I hope you figure it out. Consider a motorcycle safe riding course.

Sorry to hear about your luck. Front brake does 70% of stopping. Were you following at least 2 seconds behind. What was age of helmet, for life span recommendation is only 2 years and was it properly fitting. With a slight fall as that, it seems that helmet had little absorption of the impact. Did you have a DOT approved helmet or a decorative one.
To try to convince wife to change mind, take both MSF safety courses, beginner and experience. The courses will help with stopping IE proper braking techniques and how to not have target fixation.

Back