free website stats program Positive batt cable removal | Harley Davidson Forums

Positive batt cable removal

jak1

Hi all

I need a new battery for my 2002 883 xlh. Thought I would change both battery cables while I'm there as they are looking a bit tatty.

The negative cable is not such a problem by the looks of it, but the positive one looks impossible to get off the starter without taking the starter off.

Surely I don't have to do this do I !

As anybody else done this job and if so can you tell me what I'm missing here. Seems a bit extreme to just to remove the cable, what a terrible design.

Thanks

It is what it is. If cables have no inherent problems, clean ends up properly and let it go. Be sure to also check the attaching ends on the other end of cables also at starter and ground.
For what you want to do to be through could ultimately end up causing a great headache. If it ain't broke don't fix it.....

No, after looking at it, I dont intend to change it as long as i get a good reading off it. Even to tighten the positive end of the cable on the starter motor looks like a big problem for such a small job.

Seems to me the exhaust has to come off, followed by the sprocket cover and maybe a bracket that holds two oil lines.

As I said before, what an awful design.

Back