free website stats program posers/bikers fine line | Harley Davidson Forums

posers/bikers fine line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that depends on what a"biker" is. The term " biker " congers up images of a tattoo clad denim and leather wearing tough guy. But is that what a biker is or is that Hollywood's version of what a biker is ? Lots of women ride now too. Can they be bikers? There is a guy I see around occasionally who has to be in his late 70's riding a 1950 Indian chief . He wears a red windbreaker white Pennyloafers and those khaki work pants that everyone from that generation wore . From conversations with him I discovered that he bought the bike new and has owned it all it's life. He doesn't fit what a lot of peoples mold of a biker is but to me he is the epitome of what a true biker is. He didn't buy his bike so everyone could see him on it . He bought it because he loved to ride. How many riders (and I don't just mean Harley riders) bought bikes to be cool and be seen on them .Are we dressed in manufacturer logoed leather to look cool and to put on a tough biker image or to use it for protection . I was always told that you dress for the crash not for the ride.. I don't wear leather when I ride but a lot of the people I ride with do .I guess my whole point is that you cant get inside someone's head to know their motives so you should treat All bikers with the same respect and not be concerned with what their label is or what brand they ride. Your ride isn't about them ,It's about you, it's about the rush of the open road ,the sun and wind in your face, the feeling of freedom, about letting the rest of the world behind at least for a little while. The feeling of independence and power you can get nowhere else.The brother(and sister)hood of those who have a passion for riding. We need to look out for each other because nobody else will and not worry about some arbitrary degree of worthiness used to establish a pecking order in the community. Isn't it supposed to be about individuality and individual expression . We all express ourselves in different ways so what might be a Biker to you might be a poser to someone else and vice a versa

Thats how I see it.

Last edited:
QUOTE=Hoon;14957]It's all really simple...if you have a bike, your a biker.
If your on your bike and stop for someone to take your picture, your a poser.:D[/QUOTE]

that's a good one :lolrolling

Well that depends on what a"biker" is. The term " biker " congers up images of a tattoo clad denim and leather wearing tough guy. But is that what a biker is or is that Hollywood's version of what a biker is ? Lots of women ride now too. Can they be bikers? There is a guy I see around occasionally who has to be in his late 70's riding a 1950 Indian chief . He wears a red windbreaker white Pennyloafers and those khaki work pants that everyone from that generation wore . From conversations with him I discovered that he bought the bike new and has owned it all it's life. He doesn't fit what a lot of peoples mold of a biker is but to me he is the epitome of what a true biker is. He didn't buy his bike so everyone could see him on it . He bought it because he loved to ride. How many riders (and I don't just mean Harley riders) bought bikes to be cool and be seen on them .Are we dressed in manufacturer logoed leather to look cool and to put on a tough biker image or to use it for protection . I was always told that you dress for the crash not for the ride.. I don't wear leather when I ride but a lot of the people I ride with do .I guess my whole point is that you cant get inside someone's head to know their motives so you should treat All bikers with the same respect and not be concerned with what their label is or what brand they ride. Your ride isn't about them ,It's about you, it's about the rush of the open road ,the sun and wind in your face, the feeling of freedom, about letting the rest of the world behind at least for a little while. The feeling of independence and power you can get nowhere else.The brother(and sister)hood of those who have a passion for riding. We need to look out for each other because nobody else will and not worry about some arbitrary degree of worthiness used to establish a pecking order in the community. Isn't it supposed to be about individuality and individual expression . We all express ourselves in different ways so what might be a Biker to you might be a poser to someone else and vice a versa

Thats how I see it.
:good
this is the kind of reply i was looking for....very well said

What follows is my OPINION. Opinion is the lowest form of knowledge.

The classic image of a biker is a creation of Hunter S. Thompson and Hollywood. The Hell's Angels and all the other outlaw biker clubs are a drop in the bucket compared to the total number of motorcycle riders. They just got the most press. So in my opinion the posers are those who want to create the outlaw image in and of itself. That image is the whole point of the poser. "I'm BAD! Fear me!" Excuse me? I carry a licensed pistol everywhere I go. I spent 26 years working in the emergency services and I've seen and done crap I have nightmares about. And you want to impress me with how bad you are? Try again.

In my OPINION, the soul of being a biker is in the dedication to the ride. Period. It's not about breaking the law. It's not about being "bad". It's about the ride. It's about viewing a motorcycle as a true form of transportation instead of a toy. It's about accepting that life doesn't go on forever and that how we live it is more important than how long.

Storm

I don't want offend anyone,but the way I look at it is if you paint you're a painter,if you plumb you're a plumber, if you bake you're a baker and if you bike you're a biker. I can't understand why some people can't figure this out. And If you can afford a 20 Thousand Harley you can ride one. If you can only afford a 10 Thousand Honda that's fine to. A very good freind of mine who rides and spent years trying to talk me into getting a bike says he wouldn't buy a "jap" bike but drives a Honda mini van and his wife drives Toyota. Think about that one for a while. :D

IMO, too much time and energy is wasted trying to "categorize" people for what ever reasons. I ride because I like to ride, my choice is a harley but I am not looking to be called a biker.
Why are only people that ride harleys referred to as bikers? If you ride a honda or other brand, these people aren't bikers?

Every time I see the term "biker" and the ensuing posts that try to define the word, It makes me laugh at just how narrow minded some people are but that's JMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back