free website stats program Portland, Maine to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina | Harley Davidson Forums

Portland, Maine to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

H4U30

I know this forum is usually used for technical questions but I have a travel question. I am planning on traveling from Portland, Maine to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina to visit my son who is there attending school. What I am asking is "What are must rides between here and there"? I have 2 weeks vacation planned but obviously want to spend the majority of the time with my son, but also want to hit all must rides between here and there.
Not that it matters and its probably in with my name but I'll be doing this on a 2009 FLHX
Thank you for any thoughts or idea's.

IMHO a ride down the Skyline Drive and at least part of the Blue Ridge parkway is a must do at least once in your life. this would be the perfect opportunity.

Suggested Route

Awesome! Thank you. I take it you have ridin this route? Any suggestions on where to stay? Thinking of doing it in 2 days aslong as I don't deviate to much then maybe 3. Do you know if I take this route does it bring me close to the Dragons Tail?
Again thank you

Thought I was having a senior moment till I figured out that you have two posts going. Happens to me all the time.

I've done both on two and four wheels. (my reply to your other post mentioned the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel) Both are fun.

For the Skyline/Blue Ridge I try to make it to Chambersburg PA or Hagerstown, MD going down. I use Trip Advisor website to find lodging as conditions and quality may change from year to year. It's a good idea to have several choices especially on a motorcycle. Sometimes you have to stop early due to weather etc. Trip Advisor is a peer to peer rating site that lets you read and add reviews. I have used the DeLorme Street Atlas program for a while to plan routes but lately the trip advisor and google maps have done the job just fine. Plan your route on google and use trip advisor map to locate hotels. We stayed at the Spring Hill Suites Hagerstown on our last trip and found it a good value and location.

The Dragon's Tail is doable but you would want to take the interstate through Asheville then Smoky Mt Expressway to 28 (Fontana Rd) If you think you might get back there I would try to spend a week in those mountians. That is some of the finest riding roads in the world.
click here

Here is the Dragon on a Google Map you can zoom out to get an idea of it's relation to Myrtle Beach.

Sorry about the double post thing. I guess I posted in the wrong area and someone moved it on me, so I started this one here then found the other one............. That is great information thank you very much. I really appreciate this.

Back