Popping

Discussion in 'Sportster Models' started by Vilemind, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Vilemind

Vilemind Member

ok 2007 883 low ... i have drag pipes on it now had the 1200 conversion done doing alot of backfiring after i release the throttle,,,i want to change the pipes but i want pipes the have the o2 sensor ports,, but want pipes without the cross over tube holes on the bottom want to do away with cross over tube any suggestions on a good deep sounding pipe with o2 holes but no cross over tube holes ?

2. Vilemind

Vilemind Member

i bought after market drag pipes a few months ago but they have the cross over pipe ports,,,i dunno i never had the popping on decel until they did the 1200 conversion

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2010
  3. TQuentin1

TQuentin1 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

When they did the 1200 conversion, did they do something to adjust the air/fuel ratio?

First thing I would check for are intake and exhaust leaks. Check the self-help sections for the procedures.

TQ

4. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

As TQ says, it is tricky to get the pipes lined up and difficult to prevent leaks if they reused the formed/braided packing gland type gaskets (including the hidden black crossover pipes behind my Drag straight dual pipes below).

[​IMG]

5. Vilemind

Vilemind Member

they used all new exhaust gaskets,,, your pipes look just like mine

6. Mattman4403

Mattman4403 Junior Member

What do the folks that did the conversion say about it?

7. prodrag1320

prodrag1320 Account Removed

its too lean at the very bottom end,and over heating the pipe to where slight un-burnt gas is being ignited,give it more fuel at 0 throttle position,this will cool the pipe to where it wont ignite the spent fuel

8. prodrag1320

prodrag1320 Account Removed

prolly not a bad idea,your most likley lean all the way thru the rpm range,just showing most with the popping on decel

9. Vilemind

Vilemind Member

The shop that did it is blaming the pipes,,,so i bought a set of 2" pipes guess what ,,,samething they told me ,,,we are going to have to call power commander maybe they can help us

10. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

Ahh, the plot thickens, did not know they added a Power Commander fueler...which model and what programming did they do for the 1st pipes, much less the 2" ones is actually the more real question and should be on their dime, and you should not have had to buy (upgrade?) to a different because they did not do it right the first time...think?