free website stats program Popping while shifting... | Harley Davidson Forums

Popping while shifting...

Nokay

Im having the same issue as another did on here but wasn't quite sure of the solution or how much it might cost.
When I shift or decelerate, my exhaust pops a lot and its getting worse. I don't even want to ride it lately because it bugs me.
There was a cure for this on another thread.
Any help would be appreciated and any idea of what it might cost.
Thanks all!

Oops...I forgot to mention its a 2008 Heritage Softail.

Last edited by a moderator:
If this is something that has developed and is getting worse without you having made any modifications (like exhaust or air cleaner) then it is important to know. Exhaust / intake leaks rarely develop out of the blue.

Cheers,

TQ

Thanks for the replies..
I have done nothing to it except add nice HD crash bars since I bought it last year.
It is getting progressively worse.

BTW...it had new after market exhaust added before I bought it.

Just turned 30,000

If this is something that has developed and is getting worse without you having made any modifications (like exhaust or air cleaner) then it is important to know. Exhaust / intake leaks rarely develop out of the blue.

Cheers,

TQ
I will check that out, TY...

Last edited by a moderator:
Exhaust leaks can cause the pop / backfire.
So loosen and retighten pipes crom front to back.
Lean condition can also cause it.
I had a RKC that slowly became so bad, as you decribed, I ended up replacing the fuel filter, it was restricted. Took care of a decel popping.

The fuel filter is a good suggestion by Joel above. It is probably in the tank with the fuel pump and pressure regulator. If you are gonna attempt this, I suggest getting the Factory Service Manual from HD (you can order online from one of the discount HD dealers).

If you are pulling the fuel pump assembly out of the tank, I strongly advise replacing the corrugated fuel lines. You can go with in-kind replacements, or use high pressure fuel hose (from O'Reilly's or AutoZone) to replace the corrugated plastic lines.

Also, while in there, replace both the fuel filter and the fuel pressure regulator. Inspect the fuel pump carefully for cracks if yours has plastic housing. You do not want to be going in and out of the gas tank, so might as well do it all while there!!!

Cheers,

TQ

If previous owner just hung a freer flowing exhaust you will get popping on decel. Especially if bike also has a high flow air filter. A fueler of some sort is needed to correct lean condition.

In some cases, on touring models with stock head pipes and free-flow slipons and AC, the exhaust system will actually inhale a bit from the left pipe and pop easily. The freer flowing the system is, the more the popping. Before settling for that explanation, do all of the corrective actions previously stated, especially exhaust system sealing. If she still pops, different headpipes may be required. Stock ones are shooting for a pseudo-2-into-one operation for efficiency and performance. In such a case, the stock slipons are restricted a bit more on the left side. Free-flow slipons are generally not restricted on the left side, so exhaust velocity through the right side will suck a bit from the left side when the throttle is rapidly closed at higher rpms, hence, popping.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Back