free website stats program popping on Deluxe | Harley Davidson Forums

popping on Deluxe

twicecam

I have a 2006 Deluxe with stage one and 2000 miles since I replaced the stock HD plugs with autolite plugs, I've always had a small amount of dcell but now I have more hesitation when it is cold and some popping under low acceleration and when I'm cruising at 30-40 miles per hour a intermintant popping. After I get on the highway and it warms up real good it does clear up, but if I park it for 45 minutes or so and get back on it's the same routine, I have never used fuel injector cleaner because I haven't figured out the ratio of cleaner to gas. I have been going through alot of the threads and there is alot of possibilities, where to start??? Spark plugs, intake leak, injectors, I need input where do I start first? Almost forgot, the bike has 18,000 miles on it.

I would start with a set of HD plugs and check the resistance in the wires or replace them, they are cheap enough and it sounds like you could have an ignition problem, especially if you didn't handle the wires easy when you removed them. As far as the injector cleaner, a ounce or so should be about right for a full tank but the fuels today have cleaners in them.
Did you gap the plugs when you put them in?

Any codes set?

I have a 2006 Deluxe with stage one and 2000 miles since I replaced the stock HD plugs with autolite plugs, I've always had a small amount of dcell but now I have more hesitation when it is cold and some popping under low acceleration and when I'm cruising at 30-40 miles per hour a intermintant popping. After I get on the highway and it warms up real good it does clear up, but if I park it for 45 minutes or so and get back on it's the same routine, I have never used fuel injector cleaner because I haven't figured out the ratio of cleaner to gas. I have been going through alot of the threads and there is alot of possibilities, where to start??? Spark plugs, intake leak, injectors, I need input where do I start first? Almost forgot, the bike has 18,000 miles on it.

Using anything else but Harley plugs in the Delphi EFI system is asking for trouble.....the Ion sensor can be wacked out because of the resistence change in the plugs and the ECM will start pulling timing out of the map for no reason causing miss fires andthat can cause excessive fuel in the pipe to pop on you.
It's important to stick with stock plug wires and stock plugs....you gain NOTHING from Auto Lite plugs.

Just got back from the dealer, got new plugs and wires. Live and Learn. Thanks doc, thanks Glider. I guess there are just some things you can't substitute for aftermarket, I'll let you know how it comes out.:bigsmiley12:

Idles good ,runs good ,problem solved. I still have intermittent popping on decel, I have vance and hines long shots staggered..it's done that since I put them on.:yes

Idles good ,runs good ,problem solved. I still have intermittent popping on decel, I have vance and hines long shots staggered..it's done that since I put them on.:yes

Are you running a SERT? If so I can help you get rid of that popping in a heart beat!!!

Back