popping and stalling when giving it throttle

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by bigdawg5000p, Jul 22, 2013.

1. bigdawg5000p

bigdawg5000p New Member

i had indie shop replace stator regulator and battery.. for a few months prior to this i had been hearing a popping out of where the points cover is. i figured cam pos sensor was going bad. when i picked up bike from shop for charging system replace it wouldnt run. it would idle but when i turn throttle it would die.. when i could get the rpms up it would run rough ,backfiring like crazy and very hard to start.rpms going up and down..i checked cam sensor and when i messed with the wires it started running a little better,, still runs bad but better.. so i replaced cam sensor and it fired up and ran fine for a minute then seems like when it warmed up.. same thing.. i need help i have set and re set timing ,changed plugs , check all connectors and battery ,, any ideas ??

1998 flhtcui 1340 engine stage 1 breather and pipes

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2013
  2. HDDon

HDDon Experienced Member Contributor Retired Moderators

Sounds like it might be the idle air control or the cam position sensor. Clean the IAC and CPS and see if it runs any better.

3. bigdawg5000p

bigdawg5000p New Member

i just replaced CPS with a new 1 from harley.. Where is the IAC located?

4. HDDon

HDDon Experienced Member Contributor Retired Moderators

I think you have a MM FI and my 05 manual would not show your positioning. If you don't have a manual now would be a good time to get one. Some of the other members with your model will come on soon to give you the info and location of the IAC.