free website stats program popping and stalling when giving it throttle | Harley Davidson Forums

popping and stalling when giving it throttle

bigdawg5000p

i had indie shop replace stator regulator and battery.. for a few months prior to this i had been hearing a popping out of where the points cover is. i figured cam pos sensor was going bad. when i picked up bike from shop for charging system replace it wouldnt run. it would idle but when i turn throttle it would die.. when i could get the rpms up it would run rough ,backfiring like crazy and very hard to start.rpms going up and down..i checked cam sensor and when i messed with the wires it started running a little better,, still runs bad but better.. so i replaced cam sensor and it fired up and ran fine for a minute then seems like when it warmed up.. same thing.. i need help i have set and re set timing ,changed plugs , check all connectors and battery ,, any ideas ??

1998 flhtcui 1340 engine stage 1 breather and pipes

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like it might be the idle air control or the cam position sensor. Clean the IAC and CPS and see if it runs any better.

I think you have a MM FI and my 05 manual would not show your positioning. If you don't have a manual now would be a good time to get one. Some of the other members with your model will come on soon to give you the info and location of the IAC.

Back