free website stats program Popping and Soot | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Popping and Soot

Well if you fancy meeting up for a pub lunch stop along the way let me know - if it's a day I'm free I'll meet up with you and if Hobbit can come we'll have a mini GB Chapter meeting :D

All depends on what she decides
but if we end up in your neck of the woods ill let you know

Brian

cedardrook I have read the posts here and I dont think you have things 100% setting as per Bubbies advise.Start with the #1 pot and re-adjust running at 1800-2000 rpm get that pot set so your bike runs the smoothest there.This is the most important pot on the TFI if it is not set proper you can not tweak the others properly. If the governed rpm has been raised by the build adjust #4 pot to 4:30 .For #3 and 4 take it for a ride and adjust them by feel.Let it completely warm up then take it on a country road open up and back off adjust one at a time. you will feel and hear the difference. An hour playing like this will make a big difference.

Thanks Steve - I'm going to tune it properly once I get it home on Wednesday. It's actually running quite nicely now - had it out for a run and it's sounding good and no fuel smell. Still getting just over 10miles/litre too which is good. Before I went to Stage 1 last year = when all was stock, I used to get about 8.5-9 miles/litre.
Thanks for the heads up and advice though and I'll be doing just that :D:D

ride it back as is and bring it over and we will have a butchers at it, soot to some degree is normal combustion, my monster ovals are already sooted up.
the popping is either a sign of an air leak or lean mixture.
as i said get back and bring it over and we will have play and a look see
Hobbit just can't resist tearing into sporty's. :D

Nice to see Sporties come together...looks like Cedarbrook AND Hobbit are settled...for now...LOL! :newsmile100:

I still want a Road King when I grow up........
but I'm keeping the Sporty:s:D
Funny, that. I have the Road King, but I will also snap up a '73 XLCH Sporty, if in unmolested condition, and close enough to pick up :s That was my 1st scooter, and I kinda miss her. My old one is cruising around Amsterdam (I hope she still is, anyway).

Enjoy,
Rich P

Back