free website stats program pop pop pop | Harley Davidson Forums

pop pop pop

Hey everybody, only been a member a few days and I'm sure glad I found this site, what a community of awesome bikers. I'm sure you've had this question a zillion times but I gotta ask. I put a set of short shot pipes on 05 1200c 11 months ago and never had a problem with performance, not a pop. The other week it started to pop and backfire like crazy. I changed the plugs they had some carbon build up and the air filter(that was wet with gas) I noticed alot of varnish so I started using Mystery oil figuring the jets may be a little clogged. I've only run a half a tank but it seems to be responding better. Should I continue with the Mystery oil or am I just blowing smoke. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

The MMO will not hurt anything , but it isn't too good for the 02 sensors on the bikes. Have you checked for any intake leaks yet?

I checked that today, everything looks to be snugged up tight. Nothing on the pipes to indicate a leak. Should I stop with the MMO and try Sea Foam?

what would throw that carb off to run that rich so quickly...vibration. The new filter is completly dry(about two weeks now) which is still stock. I'll look into the K&N replacement filter. Also, would that cause it to run like a misfire and jerk at low speeds? Thanks for your responses guys.

Last edited:
just finished the first tank with MMO,(between work and the weather not much time to ride right now) seems like it's getting better, starting is still challenging for the first minute or so, need alot of choke(enricher) which i'm sure is contributing to the problem. So at this point I was thinking to change out the oil, put new plugs in again,(the back head is white and the front is light tan )run two more tanks with MMO(i'll stay away from the seafoam)and if that doesn't work, take a trip to the dealer. I'm not familiar with fortron, sounds like an experienced mechanic move, (Ithink in the U.S. it's called a kerosene cleaning) just kidding. Should I ask for this to be done? Thanks .

can't tell you what size jet is in the bike right now but I'm sure it's stock. It ran so good for so long there was no reason to have any adjustments done after I put the pipes on. I'll have to go with you, still partially blocked is my gut feeling. The varnish build up was pretty bad for running pre-mo gas all the time. Makes you wonder what the heck is in your tank or their tanks. The weather should clear up in a few days so I can get out and blow this thing out and see if that helps for the next few tanks. I'll get back to you if the problem persists. Thanks so much for the one on one, you've been a great help, ride On.

Hey Hobbit, just wanted to let you know it's back running like a charm. Finally got to take it out on the interstate a few times and open it up, by the end of the day it sounded better at idle and ran really strong.(only 30 seconds of choke or less from now on) Guess the MMO worked this time. Plugs still look good, air filter dry, so we're good to go. Thanks again for your help, good ride'n.

Back