free website stats program Poor Running | Harley Davidson Forums

Poor Running

Hi , got a 2003 EFI Annie Road King which I bought second-hand a few month ago and is giving me a bit of jip, so bad in fact I’m reluctant to ride it. It’s popping banging like a goodun. Starts and idles fine but banging through the exhausts every time the throttles closed performance is not very good either. It sometimes spits on acceleration which ain’t much fun halfway through a bend either.
Battery seems fine, don’t seem to be any manifold leaks that I can find? Plugs don’t look to bad with a slight brown color, Got it booked in at a Dyno centre for a PC111 and a map as I don’t know if previous owner had one fitted and removed it before parting with it at the dealers so making the bike now running too lean as its got a stage one fitted?
Anyway ,any other Ideas to look for if PC doesn't cure it? Thanks

Looks like you are headed in the right direction with the dyno and PC. More than likely it will take care of a lean mixture.

I would talk to the dealer if you find that the bike is too lean because of no fuel management. They should not have sent it out when they sold it to you without checking it over.Let them help with the costs in this case.

What exhaust do you have on it?

Hi Glider thanks for the reply. With some exceptions, dealer service over here is pretty poor generally. I did contact them originally as to what had been done but they’d lost the service book (gave me a new one –Wow!) Nor could they find anything on the computer although they were the originating dealer?? The bike’s only done 7000 miles. Salesman didn’t have a clue about Harley’s ( I only sell them) so I assumed it had a ECU download but they couldn’t confirm it either way but they did service it and put a new Brake master cylinder on as I requested. As far as they are concerned the bike was running fine when it left the showroom?? Anyway, the bikes out of their limited warranty so it’s up to me to sort out, which I prefer anyway.
Pipes fitted I guess to be Harley Touring mufflers the part no: 65944-96 Stamped on them if that’s any help??
Thanks

Last edited:
OK, the touring mufflers shouldn't be causing a problem here, but the dealer can hook up to the bike and tell you what download in in it if any.

I would press the issue with them if the outcome ends up being as you said the possibility of a PC being removed causing the problem here, especially if the stage 1 was installed when you bought the bike from them. It would appear to be lean just as you thought from the removal of a fueler of sorts.

Before wasting any more time on the Dealer there that may know less that US Dealers (is that possible?), let me ask a quick question. Does the problem seem to develop/get worse as the gasoline level in the tank gets less? If yes to the last question, try pulling the fuel pump out of the tank and checking to see if the plastic convoluted tubing have worn small pinholes through the tubing rubbing against the structure inside your fuel tank. If so, replace that tubing with any other tubing that will stand up to being submerged in gasoline. I used high pressure fuel injector tubing from an auto parts store.

Your symptoms seem very similar to the ones I had when my '03 UC had the problem I describe above. It has happened to me twice. That plastic tubing HD uses is a joke. The second time around I said crap to more of that plastic stuff.

TQ

Last edited:
Dealer can't fit bike in for at least 3 weeks!!. Got a few outings planed over the next few weeks so can't wait that long without the bike.

Bikes already booked in at a Dyno shop so will get a pre-run evaluation printout before PC/ map fitted which hopefully may or may not confirm my suspicions.

Before wasting any more time on the Dealer there that may know less that US Dealers (is that possible?), let me ask a quick question. Is the bike EFI, or carb? If EFI, does the problem seem to develop/get worse as the gasoline level in the tank gets less? If you answered EFI, and yes to the last question, try pulling the fuel pump out of the tank and checking to see if the plastic convoluted tubing have worn small pinholes through the tubing rubbing against the structure inside your fuel tank. If so, replace that tubing with any other tubing that will stand up to being submerged in gasoline. I used high pressure fuel injector tubing from an auto parts store.

Your symptoms seem very similar to the ones I had when my '03 UC had the problem I describe above. It has happened to me twice. That plastic tubing HD uses is a joke. The second time around I said crap to more of that plastic stuff.

TQ

Its EFI
Will check it out
Thanks

Robbie,

Getting the pump, float, et al out of the tank is a challenge. It does hinge to allow you to angle it out of there. If you don't have one, get a service manual for your model. Helps.

You may not need to remove the whole contraption from the tank just to check the discharge tubing. Once you get that plate loose (about 10 screws holding that), you can usually wallow it around enough to get the hose loose and then blow in it. If you hear air escaping or even bubbles in the gas, there is your answer. The suction tubing is the short piece and you will have to take the contraption out of the tank to look at that. I check it the same way (blow in it and see if it is leaking) since the pin holes are hard to spot.

If you get all of it out of the tank, I suggest you replace the filter and the pressure regulator so you will not have to do that again for a while. Even if the plastic tubing is not leaking, you might consider replacing it with something more robust. Also, get a flashlight shining down in the tank to see if there is any water at the bottom. If so, get a short length of clear plastic tubing and syphon out the water.

TQ

Back