free website stats program Poor running Low Rider | Harley Davidson Forums

Poor running Low Rider

ChadF

I have a 2004 injected Low Rider. It has develoed a problem. Checked for codes and none are stored. It has started ideling rough and missing. When ideling it will act like it is going to stall, back fire, rev up and then idle ok for a few seconds. When riding you can feel it missfiring randomly. When idling around parking lots or riding slow I have had it almost stall. It has stalled a few times taking off from a stop light. It will restart but usually back fires on restart. The plugs are new and look OK. All connections look good. I checked spark output with my spark tester and it seems weak to me. It will not fire over 25kv and the spark looks light. I am used to automotive ignitions and am not sure what is right in this one. But even my old Camaro with points ignition will fire a healthy 35kv spark. So I am thinking it is a weak coil but I am not sure.
Any help would be much appreciated.

What's the mileage on the bike. Original owner? Is it bone stock, does it have a fuel enrichment black box, or stage 1 download. Has this problem just developed/ meaning has it has been fine up to this point. Have you inspected the coil towers for oxidation. Have you performed an ohm meter check of the secondary spark plug wires. Are the plugs genuine HD & correct part number. How does the bike perform under WOT under a heavy load (5 gear). Does it pull without an engine miss.

It has 15000 miles. It has stage one download, Screaming Eagle 2 slip ons and Screaming Eagle air cleaner. It does seem to run OK at wide open throttle. I have not tried 5th gear wide open throttle. Just first or second when it tried to dump me by stumbling comming out of a corner.

I know you said there were no codes, but you did perform a WOW test and it did say "none" in all fields.

All fields show none. I have checked for codes after every ride. It has been doing this for about 300 miles.

Did the problem come on gradual over time (getting worse & worse) or did it happen like throwing a light switch. One day it was running fine and the next day it was running bad.

Any issues with starting the bike when hot or cold.

It seems to be getting worse pretty rapidly. It started out I noticed a couple of misses at an idle. Every once in a while it would back fire when starting hot or cold. When I first start it it does seem to run better than when hot but it still has a random miss cold. The miss gets worse the hotter the bike gets.

Back