free website stats program Poor gas mileage | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Poor gas mileage

Does it have any historic codes in the ECM. Check to see if you have any O2 sensor related codes in it.
On my '09, when you boot the ECM if the Check engine light goes off after 4 seconds and then comes back on, followed by it going off once again, it means it has historic codes in the ECM.

Mine does this. How do I check/ clear the codes?

Sorry don't mean to highkack the thread............

Don't know if it's applicable but did anyone change the gearing,ie rear pulley, front pulley, comp sprocket on your bike? What RPM are you running in top gear at say 60MPH?

I think riding style has a lot to do with it. I know that after I got the 106 dropped in the bike w/ the S&S 551 cams and dyno tune I rode it like I stole it for the first two or three fill ups. I was only getting like 24 - 28 MPG. (Granted this is winter fuel, popping the throttle a lot to hear that crisp new note coming out of the pipes, and jumping from light to light like a raped ape.) Now that I have come to terms w/ the new build, on my last two fill-ups I have gotten 30 and 32 respectively. I am only expecting this to go up a bit w/ summer fuel and calming down on the throttle popping. But, who am I kidding, it's too much fun to smoke that kid in the SRT-4 neon that thinks he's driving a vette!!

28? that's real low IMO. I bet those plugs are BLACK when you pull them out. I suppose I could get my bike down to 28 but I'd have to abuse it to achieve that mileage. I don't know why it's low but there is something going on and it ain't good. Mileage isn't everything but, like others have said, it is a measure of how efficiently your bike is running. good luck. let us know.

Ryno and I pulled his plugs to check them out, we both thought that they would probably look like they were dunked in coffee, but they surprisingly looked ok. A little light, indicating lean running conditions, but not bad.

I don't understand why everyone is so worried about mileage, if you are constantly getting "x" amount of miles to a gallon, so be it, now if you are talking lets say more than 10% difference of each tank then I think you have a reason to be concerned, Like me, nothing wrong with my bike, plugs look good, bike runs great, fuel/air mixture at right ratio, 32mpg, so be it. Not being ignorant, but still sticking with my point, if we can afford to have some HD that we really do not need in todays economy, we really cannot complain about fuel mileage, and again, THIS ASSUMES THAT NOTHING IS WRONG WITH THE BIKE. BTW, you can prosecute me all you want for this, but we cannot complain about gas mileage like I said when we can afford to have these great bikes especially in our economy today. P.S. I will do it for you ----- :small3d023::small3d023::small3d023: :bigsmiley20::bigsmiley20:

I don't understand why everyone is so worried about mileage, if you are constantly getting "x" amount of miles to a gallon, so be it, now if you are talking lets say more than 10% difference of each tank then I think you have a reason to be concerned, Like me, nothing wrong with my bike, plugs look good, bike runs great, fuel/air mixture at right ratio, 32mpg, so be it. Not being ignorant, but still sticking with my point, if we can afford to have some HD that we really do not need in todays economy, we really cannot complain about fuel mileage, and again, THIS ASSUMES THAT NOTHING IS WRONG WITH THE BIKE. BTW, you can prosecute me all you want for this, but we cannot complain about gas mileage like I said when we can afford to have these great bikes especially in our economy today. P.S. I will do it for you ----- :small3d023::small3d023::small3d023: :bigsmiley20::bigsmiley20:

Keyword being ASSUME..........

Make no mistake, nearly everyone will get 3-5 mpg less in the colder, winter months with their Harleys. It takes longer for them to warm up to operating temperature, during which time they will run richer. Besides all that, the reformulated gasolines have some strange stuff in the mix, one of which is some combination of ethanol. We are just going to have to tuff it out until May 1, I think. Seems like the feds turn the gas manufacturers loose about then to go back to the normal gasoline, whatever that is. Another thing to take into consideration is the fact that many stations shop for the lowest price before they too fill up. This week refinery X may have the best deal. Next week it could be refinery Z. The point being that different refineries may or may not make the same reformulated gasoline mixture so our gasoline supply might not be too consistent from week to week.
Remember when nothing changed and everyone was happy? Me either.

Back