free website stats program Poor gas mileage | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Poor gas mileage

That's just it. You don't know. For a stock bike to get that low MPG there may be something wrong. Like it was said earlier, if cylinder temp sensor was bad, the bike would always have the "choke" on.
In this case it would be added pulse width to the injectors. Hydrocarbons coming out the exhaust would be high, which would lead to diluted crankcase oil.

Actually Hoop you are correct, I use fuel mileage as a yardstick to how my bike is doing, but if you have no initial reference point you really have no idea, being your riding style determines a large portion of your fuel mileage, "all things being equal..."!!!

Not that I beat the daylights out of my bike, but I am not afraid of the throttle. Also like Chopper says, things like wind drag, loads, etc. have a huge part in fuel mileage. I am sure that if we all compared how we rode we would all have different ways as well as fuel mileage. As for me, my bike runs great, I have no problem with the motor that was built for it, I understand that fuel mileage was going to drop and I was fine with it. All I am saying is that if you can afford to have a HD, and spend anywhere from 10K for a basic bike to 36K for say a SE Ultra, I would think mileage would be not a big deal, UNLESS SOMETHING WAS WRONG WITH THE BIKE.

I have a 2008 FLHTP. It is stock and I have owned it since day one. I don't think I have gotten any better than 32 MPG. I also run at least 91 octane. I just think that this engine drinks alot more than others.

My bike is, for all practical purposes, stock. It has the SE air filter, Propipe, and PCIII. It's been tuned on a dyno by an experienced dyno operator. When the bike was bone stock, it got 45-48 mpg. After making the above changes it dropped to 40-41 mpg. I'm not so concerned about the actual mileage, as I am about my range on a tank of gas.

Some have made the comment that we shouldn't be so worried about mileage because our bikes get better mpg than a car. True, but my car carries an 18 gallon tank. So,a 13% drop in mileage doesn't have the same affect as it would on a 4.5 gallon tank. There's been a few times where gas stations were scarce and when I did fill up, it took 4.3 gallons. Scary on a EFI bike.

(I am not a throttle jockey. I enjoy the scenery, the fun of the ride, not creating sonic booms behind me. lol)

I also think that a fuel injected motor is harder on gas than a carbed motor.

Fuel injection is 1 of the main reasons why cars get the mileage today that they do. Fuel injection is the only way you could get mixtures to stay in the 14.5 to 14.7 A/F ratio range. Of course the amount you save in a cage is 3X & 4X due to the number of cylinders but to be able to pinpoint you mixture to 14.5 A/F across all cruise maps with a carb would be near impossible.

I may be wrong but I would bet that if you were to take today's current 96 engine with a current frame weight and carburetor it, you would never get into the 30's with it.

But I do agree with your earlier statement. Mileage for me also is not that important as long as the bike is running at peak performance. I only get in the low 30's around town but that's because of the changes I made to it.

Well, I bought my 03 RK and the PO had installed a Ness Big Sucker, Rinehart TD's, and some crazy carb kit. It got a 25mpg. I have sense taken the carb back to stock except for a 26 main jet and 2-#4 washers under the needle. I now only get 27mpg around town and about 37mpg on the road with ethanol free gas. I cant figure where my fuel goes either, everybody gets better fuel mileage than I do with motors creating lots more HP. I dont consider myself a speed demon by any stretch. I have been all over that bike looking for answers and have just given up. Short of a wholesale carb change for which I get mixed reviews about. I just climb on it everyday and just ride.....I feel your pain but there comes a point when you just run out of options.

Good luck,

Bodeen

I still haven't seen an answer to what I believe is the most important question posed so far. Is it throwing any codes? Why waste time trying to guess what's going on examining plugs and pipes when the bike is designed to TELL you what's wrong by reading the codes. Are police bikes different in that they don't have this feature?

Wow, where in Florida do you find Ethanol free fuel except at a marina. Enjoy it while you have it.:p

A station on US1 in Melbourne. Been buying it for quite awhile. I buy it for the bike even though its not high octane. It was $3.09 the other day but worth it in my opinion. Specially as much as I burn:(

Bodeen

Back