free website stats program Poor gas mileage | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Poor gas mileage

Here is my view, we are on bikes for pure enjoyment, who cares about fuel mileage, I don't let fuel mileage bother me, I get 32mpg out of my built 95" motor, not great but not bad, it is certainly better than my car though.

Here is my view, we are on bikes for pure enjoyment, who cares about fuel mileage,

Sure, if the engine is built and your burning all of it, then it is not a big problem. . But what if the poor milage is due to incomplete combustion on a stock engine. Then alot of it can be going past the rings and into the oil. Using excessive fuel all the time is not good especially if there is no reason for it.

Poor fuel mileage may indicate that there is a problem somewhere could be a simple as bad tyre pressures or a binding brake and if there is a problem then the enjoyment factor is reduced

Brian

That mileage sure seems low. There was a few other mileage blogs on this subject. Most seem to be getting high 30s to low to mid 40s. I check mine every trip and I only got 38 MPG once in 7,000 mi. I almost always get 42 - 44 MPG.

I wonder if you can talk to the mechanic at the cop shop where the bike was ridden?

But like someone mentioned, if you have a punched out bike and like to get on it (who doesn't?) I'm wondering if this is normal mileage? Also, like someone else said, "just ride it and don't worry about it especially since you are getting better mileage than your car.

28 MPG is pretty low mileage...have you looked at the exhaust pipe for fluffy black (indicating it may be running rich) or any indication you may be fighting a fuel leak, moist or gas at overflow tube or plastic inlet and outlet fittings at fuel tank?

I get low to mid 30's on mine, but I am not stock either. My point is that as long as nothing is wrong with the bike, is mileage that big of a deal? Not to me, I could care less what it gets, just my .02 cents though, I ride for fun and relaxation, and whatever it costs is cool with me.

My point is that as long as nothing is wrong with the bike, .

That's just it. You don't know. For a stock bike to get that low MPG there may be something wrong. Like it was said earlier, if cylinder temp sensor was bad, the bike would always have the "choke" on.
In this case it would be added pulse width to the injectors. Hydrocarbons coming out the exhaust would be high, which would lead to diluted crankcase oil.

Well, I care about gas mileage. I check it every time I fill up in whatever vehicle. Yes you get a good idea about how your vehicle's running by comparing your mileage to the known mileage history. You also get a good idea about what gas (brands and individual stations) to try and stick with.

I also want the highest MPG possible so I have more range on a tank of gas.

I remember the days of 427s and 396 big blocks and 10 MPG with Sunoco 260 (wasn't that 100 octane?) and lots of guys would even brag that they only got 8 or 10 MPG. I always tried for 13 MPG with my '68 396 Chevelle 375 hp although I never got more than about 10, too. It sure could burn some rubber, though; positraction burn-outs.

What I'd really like is the 55 MPG that's advertised on the Harley billboards around town. Maybe that's for some Moped they have on the drawing board, or something.

Back