free website stats program Poor gas mileage for ultra classic. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Poor gas mileage for ultra classic.

2 up loaded with Mrs. and gear traveling on long trips interstate speeds and not stopping usually 240 to 250 till the idiot light comes on. If I stop immediately the bike usually takes just short of 5 gal. Just normal riding, usually 200 - 215, same with the fill up, just short of 5 gal. This summer has been an exception. The mileage has been really bad, 35 at best for normal riding. Wasn't sure if it was the gas or engine issues. The bike seemed to be running fine except for the mileage. Today 207 miles -4.9 gal = roughly 42 mpg. I purchased fuel from a different station today. About the old average for in and out of towns, stop and go, medium to heavy traffic and over all mph was 44 mph according to the gps. So, it's looking like maybe the gas for me. Maybe it should be better, but it is what my bike has always done. 2008 FLHTCU, stock.

Here is the copy and paste from the web site.I don't see where they are claiming that kind of mileage.

Pricing
Dimensions
Engine
Drivetrain
Chassis
Performance
Electric

Print
U.S. Units Metric Units

Pricing 1
Vivid Black$ 23,799
Color OptionN/A
Two-Tone Option$ 24,814
Custom Color Option$ 25,014
MSRP starting atN/A
Wheel OptionN/A
Security OptionStandard
ABS OptionStandard
Security Package (Security and ABS)Standard
Reverse OptionN/A
Cruise Control OptionStandard
California Emissions$ 200
Freight$ 380

Dimensions
Length98.6 in.
Seat Height, Laden27.3 in.
Seat Height, Unladen29.1 in.
Ground Clearance5.1 in.
Rake (steering head) (deg)26
Trail6.69 in.
Wheelbase63.5 in.
Tires, Front SpecificationNW 130/80B17 65H
Tires, Rear SpecificationNW 180/65B16 81H
Fuel Capacity 46 gal.
Oil Capacity (w/filter)4 qt.
Weight, As Shipped857 lb.
Weight, In Running Order901 lb.
Luggage Capacity -Volume4.52 cu ft
Luggage Capacity -WeightN/A

Engine
Engine 2Air-cooled Twin Cam 103™ with Integrated Oil-Cooler
Bore3.875 in.
Stroke4.38 in.
Displacement103 cu in
Compression Ratio9.6:1
Fuel SystemElectronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI)

Drivetrain
Primary DriveChain, 34/46 ratio
Gear Ratios (overall) 1st9.593
Gear Ratios (overall) 2nd6.65
Gear Ratios (overall) 3rd4.938
Gear Ratios (overall) 4th4
Gear Ratios (overall) 5th3.407
Gear Ratios (overall) 6th2.875

Chassis
ExhaustChrome, 2-1-2 dual exhaust with tapered mufflers
Wheels, Optional Style TypeN/A
Wheels, Front TypeBlack and Chrome, 28-spoke Cast Aluminum
Wheels, Rear TypeBlack and Chrome, 28-spoke Cast Aluminum
Brakes, Caliper Type32 mm, 4-piston fixed front and rea
Parking BrakeN/A

Performance
Engine Torque Testing MethodJ1349
Engine Torque 3100 ft-lb
Engine Torque (rpm)3,250
Lean Angle, Right (deg.)33
Lean Angle, Left (deg.)31
Fuel Economy: Combined City/Hwy42 mpg

Steve07, they have updated there web site for the 103. I'm talking about the 96 engines and on there web site at the time they advertised 54 highway and 35 city.

I doubt very much if you would ever see 54 MPG on an ultra on the highway. That figure is probably an EPA estimate like they do on cars that is arrived at under controlled conditions or even just an estimate and not actually test MPG.

never got better than 43 with my 08 ultra

I'm and easy rider and get between 38-41 miles per gallon on my 2011 ultra. I just thought how unrealistic it was for me or anyone else to get 54 according to Harley Davidson. I guess if they didn't they would lose some customers to some other compeditor.

My 2011 FLHTK has 1200miles on it and just waiting for se air filter w/gen3, getting approx 35mi/gal, do you think it will get better mileage once engine and tranny are broke in more or it is what it is.

My 2011 FLHTK has 1200miles on it and just waiting for se air filter w/gen3, getting approx 35mi/gal, do you think it will get better mileage once engine and tranny are broke in more or it is what it is.

I have found that it takes about 5000 miles to loosen these motors up and then they will run better and the MPG will go up a bit too.

Back