free website stats program Poor gas mileage for ultra classic. | Harley Davidson Forums

Poor gas mileage for ultra classic.

I don't know about any one else but i can't help but think how harley davidson can advertise that there 2011 ultra classics get 54 highway miles to the gallon on there web site. It's almost a crime that they do IMO. It's pretty much a shame on there part. If there is anyone out there that is please tell me your secret!:bigsmiley23:

I don't know how they get the average. They must strap one to a dyno and let it run X speed at X rpm for how ever long it takes it to burn a gallon. No wind resistance, totally controlled environment. Just my thoughts.:D

How much right wrist are you using and any mods like stage 1 and exhaust. My bone stock 2008 EG I have gotten 290-300, but usally average 250 miles from a tank. I think 54 mpg is very optimistic though..

What I found. 54 mpg highway. Look at foot note #6. "Ideal lab conditions".

Fuel Capacity
6 gal.

Oil Capacity
4 qt.

Weight

Dry Weight
852 lbs.

Running Order
889 lbs.

Fuel Economy

Fuel Economy City 6
35 mpg

Fuel Economy Hwy 6
54 mpg

· 1 Prices listed are the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Prices. Options such as color are available at additional cost. Prices exclude dealer setup, taxes, title and licensing and are subject to change. Dealer prices may vary.

· 2 Measurement reflects 180 lb. (81.7 kg) operator weight.

· 3 Recommended 91 octane or higher fuel (R+M)/2.

· 4 Values shown are nominal. Performance may vary by country and region.

· 5 Standard and optional fuel systems may vary by country.

· 6 Estimated from fuel economy tests on a sample motorcycle from the corresponding family conducted by Harley-Davidson under ideal laboratory conditions. Not all motorcycle models undergo fuel economy testing. Fuel economy and mileage may vary among motorcycle models within a family. Your mileage may vary depending on your personal riding habits, weather conditions, trip length, vehicle condition and vehicle configuration and other conditions. Break-in mileage may vary.

Last edited:
All fuel mileage estimates are based on ideal conditions. very few vehicles get the mileage manufactors claim. almost all are calculated.
my 09 ultra is roughly 370 km per low fuel light . if I go by distance to empty gauge I have lost 60 km or 40 miles per tank since the dealer did (e) ECM up date .the only thing I can see that has changed after up date was poor mileage & my fuel gauge reads different,(doesn`t go to empty as quick & low fuel light comes on later. the dealer could not tell me what the update for

I noticed that HD did the testing and not an independent company. Claims are usually higher from the manufacturers of their own products. If they were to review their competitors products there is no doubt in my mind that they would find all kinds of fault with them. Independent, unbiased testing with no self interest is the way to go in my opinion.

Nothing actually states they are using E10. If they were you know they would say it. That's worth 4 miles a gallon right there.

same way the auto manufaturers do. in a controlled lab environment. I seen the test done on autos once. In a HUGE warehouse, with a concrete floor polished so smooth it was hard to walk on. the whole place climate controlled, car driven with windows up, A/C off, a steady 55mph and in a circle probably the size of a nascar track. Dont know if it still done that way, but back when govt standards started hitting hard it was.
Seen kinda same thing with engine builders and dyno runs. Engine in an enclosed PRESSURIZED room. basically making anything they tested in there into a blown/turbo'd engine. feed the room the engine in with 10psi 'boost' and air temp of 65degrees its amazing the HP number you can get.

in the real world, as Joe Isuzu put it "downhill in a hurricane"

37 mph with my 2011 ultra. But I only have 275 miles on it.
WAP.gif

Back