free website stats program Poor chrome | Harley Davidson Forums

Poor chrome

Boorskis

I have a 2004 Road King Custom that I didn't actually start riding until Spring of 2005 so, by any stretch, it is only 3 years old. The customizing style that I chose was the "Stealth" options. Both rider and passenger footboards have the Stealth pads. I absolutely love the look, but noticed last Fall (after only 2 1/2 years and approx. 8,000 miles) that 3 out of the 4 footboard pads had chrome that was starting to bubble up or separate. Now, I take care of my bike. It has NEVER sat out in wet weather or even been wet for any length of time. Even when I wash the bike I blow it completely dry. I am very upset about this chrome failure and wondered if anyone else had this experience or knows if Harley will do anything about it.
Thanks.

I have a 2004 Road King Custom that I didn't actually start riding until Spring of 2005 so, by any stretch, it is only 3 years old. The customizing style that I chose was the "Stealth" options. Both rider and passenger footboards have the Stealth pads. I absolutely love the look, but noticed last Fall (after only 2 1/2 years and approx. 8,000 miles) that 3 out of the 4 footboard pads had chrome that was starting to bubble up or separate. Now, I take care of my bike. It has NEVER sat out in wet weather or even been wet for any length of time. Even when I wash the bike I blow it completely dry. I am very upset about this chrome failure and wondered if anyone else had this experience or knows if Harley will do anything about it.
Thanks.

The new chroming process (Hexavalent chroming) isn't as good as the older process and does have a problem with quality.
If the parts were installed at time of delivery, they should be covered under the 2 year bike warranty but that is probably over on your bike by now.
I would take them to the dealer and if he is a decent one, he may replace them for you. They could always say that they were installed on a bike after being in stock for a while if they want to work with you and return them for credit.
Worth a try.

Last edited by a moderator:
have a similar problem... chrome flaking on one of my exhaust pipe tips... i've had them on the bike for several years. i talked to a QA guy from HD - he told me take it back to the dealer and they'll replace it. i did that and the warranty guy at the dealer said they wouldn't replace it...

i was kinda bummed for a bit. until i remembered i bought the bike to ride, not keep all showroom-new. sure, i want the bike to look nice and i do spend hours cleaning it, but let's face it - given the choice between cleaning and riding, i'm riding!!!

so the chrome's flaking - i don't think the state of the chrome has ever crossed my mind when i'm in the wind...

I've got a 2004 Road King...and its chromed out to the max !...I have not had problems...but a friend of mine has had some problems...seem the area we store the bikes may have been the difference..Hes in Texas and I'm in Missouri....he stored his bike in a barn...with not much airflow....I park mine in a garage which is open and closed a lot..They have high humidity as do we... hes very particular about his bike as I am....so maybe its where you store it..also the only thing we do different....I polish my chrome then I wax it...he only polishes his chrome. Not sure this helps at all ..but I love to ramble ....lol :D

I do have an extended warranty. Based on the replys that I got to this post, I'm really going to pressure my dealer.
Thanks.

I read an article once that stated if you store your bike in the same area as swimming pool chemicals, the "fumes" from the chlorine will cause pitting in chrome and some other rust conditions on stainless steel parts. As well if you ride in coastal areas, I have also heard the same thing happening there from the salt air from the oceans.

I read an article once that stated if you store your bike in the same area as swimming pool chemicals, the "fumes" from the chlorine will cause pitting in chrome and some other rust conditions on stainless steel parts. As well if you ride in coastal areas, I have also heard the same thing happening there from the salt air from the oceans.
You're absolutely right about the chemicals. I work in an industry where these kind of chemicals are used and I have seen places where the gavanised tin roofs have had holes in them from rusting through after only 2-3 years.
Keep away the water softener salt too!

Back