free website stats program Polishing fork tubes (NOT Lower legs) | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Polishing fork tubes (NOT Lower legs)

I am sure that Brian is right
kemo

For what it's worth ,i do too.

Fork staunchions have always been;at least as far as i believe;'hard chrome' plated steel.You should check yours for nicks and gouges from rocks and other road debris.These indentations can cause the fork seals to leak or to wear on the inner seal lip(the bit that actually is in contact with the fork leg)

Seriously,i dont know if polishing them will actually achieve anything.You'd be better off to get them hard chromed again.

Front End Tubes are Hard Chromed....not Custom Chrome Plated !
thats because they ride up and down within a pressed in Bushing.....Hard Chrome shoiuld not be polished with stuff that will act like sand paper and ruin the finish ! Call a Hard Chrome business up and ask them what to use! I used to own a Custom Plating / polishing / Buffing shop for 18 years and would always tell my customers.... dont ever use anything on the chrome but a soft cloth and maybe window cleaner!
DONT EVER USE CHROME POLISH ! It a bunch of hype that will Ruin the Chrome.....I use a # 26 yellow show wax that has NO Cleaner in it on my Paint and chrome !

If you see dull areas on your chrome your looking @ the

Nickle that is under the chrome....and thats because the chrome has worn off ! Chrome is a flash coating that attaches to the Nickle...the Nickle goes on the metal and the part might sit in the Tank for 15 - 30 minutes....the Chrome is flashed on and it only takes about 10-25 seconds to attach its self to the nickle! !

So all you guys that LOVE THERE CHROME.... Dont use any Chrome polish or any other (EDIT) auto part stores are selling....If you use the Right Stuff any Chrome will last for a long time ! If you use the wrong stuff it will only Ruin your Chrome in a few seconds and cost lots of $$$$ to repolish , rebuff / then rechrome !

1 more thing there is no such thing as Triple Chrome Plating......the only way Chrome plating works is Copper, then Nickle, then Chrome !

Call Forking by Frank in Evanston,IL. they have been making Replacment Harley front End Tubes since the sixtys 60's ask them what to use on your tubes! and let us know what they tell ya! If there is a product I would like to know!

I still polish and buff parts for Harleys and Custom Cars here in Denver....so if anybody has any Quiestions Just Ask!

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
the fork tubes are not a polished finish as they need to hold oil like the honing on a cylinder, so if you polish the hard chrome the legs dont hold oil and will wear the du bushes in the forks

Back